NAV std planning without item activity

roflrofl Member Posts: 22
Hey,

I have one interesting question and issue that I have lived with for pretty long time. But few days ago, NAV confused me a bit, so I though I would share it to you and wait for your opinions.

I always though that NAV won't plan item with, let's say, Fixed Reorder Qty or Max Qty. policy, if the item does not have any traffic in the system (by traffic, I mean that there must be pending documents (SO, Invoices, journal lines etc) in the system).

Some time ago I tried to generate plan for the item with previously mentioned planning policies in req. worksheets, planning worksheets and I always failed. But as soon as I entered a document or journal line with that item, NAV reacted properly and created replenishment plan. For this reason I always though that NAV planning for those planning policies is rubbish. But few days ago I accidentally tested the same scenario again and it worked fine. I mean item didn't have item ledger entries and document in the system as well. I was surprised and happy :)

So what do you think?

Everything is done he with NAV 6.0 R2

Comments

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    rofl wrote:
    I always though that NAV won't plan item with, let's say, Fixed Reorder Qty or Max Qty. policy, if the item does not have any traffic in the system (by traffic, I mean that there must be pending documents (SO, Invoices, journal lines etc) in the system).
    The mentioned plans depend more or less only on inventory quantities. Pending docs only add to the difference between inventory and the set planning quantities. Simple said if the inventory qty is lower thean the safety stock or reorder point, NAV will allways suggest a purchase.
    rofl wrote:
    Some time ago I tried to generate plan for the item with previously mentioned planning policies in req. worksheets, planning worksheets and I always failed.
    Hard to believe, although the requisition functionality considers more than only inventory and qty (SKU's, location setup, etc...).
    rofl wrote:
    But as soon as I entered a document or journal line with that item, NAV reacted properly and created replenishment plan. For this reason I always though that NAV planning for those planning policies is rubbish.
    NAV suggested an action not a plan and your description of the result is too general to make any conclusions - especially negative ones. How many lines did you get with what qty's, action description...?
    rofl wrote:
    But few days ago I accidentally tested the same scenario again and it worked fine. I mean item didn't have item ledger entries and document in the system as well. I was surprised and happy :)
    Nowadays NAV is more and more considered as a "self healing software" - meaning that functions that don't work one day miraculosly work the next one. As if an invisible hand changed something over night...
    rofl wrote:
    So what do you think?
    You should at least read the online help on the requisition and item planning parameters topics.
  • roflrofl Member Posts: 22
    :) I am familiar with all documents. I have been installing NAV projects for 3 years now (including full development) and I have been doing this with my colleague who has been doing this for more than 12 years. He also stated that Item (at some time earlier) had to have some sort of activities in order to generate replenishment plan. So this question is really from our own experience and consider this one as the one from NAV pros :D Sorry if it doesn't look like that :D

I totally agree with all your statements and from logical perspective they are true :) But I was just wondering, maybe someone had this problem as well :)

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate that :)