NAV4.0 SP3/Win7-Can convert db and use the old client build?

rosenberglrosenbergl Member Posts: 37
I just installed the NAV 4.0 SP3 Build 25143 client on a Windows 7 PC. I connected to an old test database and was prompted to convert the database. I allowed the conversion to complete and then connected on my Windows 7 PC.

I then tried to connect on my Windows XP PC using the older NAV client 4.0 SP3 Build 23305 and was successful connecting and performing some functions. Are there any issues that I might want to be aware of?

Will I eventually run into problems using two different builds of the client connecting to the same database?

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    The conversion is prompted by the higher version of the NAV client build, not the OS. For some reason, some builds can be accessed without converting the database, and as you've now discovered, sometimes you can continue to access the database with older versions as well.

As a rule, you want to keep all NAV builds the same, so in this case I'd make sure that you upgrade the older version to the same number as the one on your Win7 system. I haven't seen many instances where the database gets corrupted or anything, but there are plenty of issues (strange unexplained error messages and stuff just stops working) where different build numbers are in use, especially when you are using NAS.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    As Daniel says, 99% of the time this wont be a problem, but you happen to have picked some specific builds that are problematic. In reality even if just for consistentcy after a DB conversion older builds of NAV should not allow themselves to connect and should force you to apply the same hot fix to all clients.

25143 is the one that has the Zero sift calculation error. So when you did the db upgrade, it wrote new stored procedures that will calculate the sifts, but unfortunately correctly. Even if you connect with 23305 it will stuill use the new SPs. To make matters worse, even when you apply the good build (26565) that will still allow 25143 clients to connect, except now the sift issue is fixed. The problem happens when a consultant comes on site and sees that you are running an older version and thus will assume you have bad or good Zero sifts depending on which client they log in to.

My recommendation is to go to 26565 on all clients and delete all the old ones so no one can connect incorrectly. 26565 is the only build of 4.00 that I have been happy with.

As to 23305, it has a lot of issues and you want to get rid of that.
    David Singleton
  • rosenberglrosenbergl Member Posts: 37
    Thanks Daniel (looking forward to seeing you in Houston) and Dave.

Dave - Do you know where I can find a download link for build 26565? I found build 23305 on Customer Source some time ago and the current download on Customer Source seems to have the same file sizes and date stamps (https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersourc ... v40sp3.htm).

Lewis
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    GO to waldo's blog and follow the link to the Partner source page, there you can request the hotfix.

Note that you need to get all the hotfixes and merge them, there isn't one file with everything.
    David Singleton
  • rosenberglrosenbergl Member Posts: 37
    Thanks again, Dave.

I need to go through Customer Source (not Partner Source)

This is what I got from Microsoft: https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebas ... -US;952355

KB Article Number(s): 952355
    Language: All (Global)
    Platform: i386
    Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Microsoft ... 86_zip.exe)

<<Note that you need to get all the hotfixes and merge them>>
    Are you saying that I need to get any hotfixes that came before this as well?

- Lewis