Windows Users

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hi
When new windows users are selected from the AD, user name (for example John Miller) and id (for example JMiller) are visible. Once the user is added, any subsequent windows dealing with the user only show the id. For example Form 578, but also the general form "Windows Logins" popping up when pressing Extras->Security->Windows Login.
Imo the reason is that once the windows user has been picked, the only link between nav and the ad is the sid.

We have some customers criticicing this. I'm interested whether somebody has solved the problem.

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Comments

• SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    What problem? It is not a problem.
    If they want their name to show up in every form that holds a userid, then you offer them a nice quote.
    See if they care about their name as much as the cost to implement it.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Sog wrote:
    What problem? It is not a problem.
    If they want their name to show up in every form that holds a userid, then you offer them a nice quote.
    See if they care about their name as much as the cost to implement it.

Hi Sog
    Good one! It already went in this direction. But anyway, actually I also expected the name there....
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Another thing is, that you can compare the preformance if you have many users in AD. Reading each name could take some time. I think this is one reason why they are not included in the lookup form.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks kamil
    That's the reason why I think the name should be on the table windows login as a normal field and this field should get the name from the AD at the moment the AD User is picked in the AD and the record in windows login gets inserted....
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    ta5 wrote:
    Thanks kamil
    That's the reason why I think the name should be on the table windows login as a normal field and this field should get the name from the AD at the moment the AD User is picked in the AD and the record in windows login gets inserted....

And if the name is then changed in AD?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    You are right, good point. Also if AD entry is deleted.
    Looked at the case from this point of view, wouldnt it be a better data model to have a table relation to table "user setup" everywhere a user id is used? Of course not in table "windows access control". :?