Options

Guidance needed

BrokenhopeBrokenhope Member Posts: 5
Hello,

We are a small company here and we need to move some data from our Navision database to an SQL database.

I was wondering what would be the easiest and fastest way to perform this task.

We were thinking about using a BizTalk server to request the tables through Navision Application Server or Message Queue's(perhaps?) and then pump the table into an SQL database using the BizTalk project.

Isn't this feasible?

Isn't it quite simple to write a simple codeunit that returns a whole table to a MSQM or are we misunderstanding something here ?

Any input would be greatly appriciated. [-o<

Thank you for your time,
John

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Why not use for example C/ODBC (NODBC)? How often you need to transfer the data?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    edited 2005-02-18
    Just this once for now, we might need to do this sometime again.

Why should I use C/ODBC ?

I heard somewhere that it was so slow... Is that not true perhaps?

This is a very large table, our Item_Master ...

The reason we started looking at BizTalk is because the table is not going to look the same in the SQL databse, we need to change few things around, map different columns to different names and types.
  • Options
    Yes, it is slow... it is why I ask how often you need to transfer the data... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    I see. Do you think that using XML files through Message Queue's and the Application Server would not work better ?
  • Options
    If you search through this forum, you can find, that there is problem with XML files if they are too big... it can be problem for you...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.