Database size and usage

surajvuksurajvuk Member Posts: 4
I require help on why the DB usage has no affect/very little affect on usage when i remove 3 companies plus removing a lot off intergation data from the database. 3 company does hold quiet a lot of data.

In theory we should be able to free up a lot of DB usage by removing companies and the intergration data relating to the companies i removed.

This test i carried out consisted of 4 companies and i deleted 3 companies and the intergation data relating to the deleted companies.

Image DBinfo 1 -shows the database with all 4 companies. (No actions taken)
Image DBinfo 2 - Shows when i removed 3 companies plus the intergation data. - Note the usage has increased
image DBinfo 3 - Shows the last part when i backed up the DB and Restored into a new DB (The new DB was the same size 4GB) only saved 1 per cent after removing 3 companies plus intergation data.

I would like possible suggestion on how to reduce the DB usage. Thank You.

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    It looks like the 3 companies you deleted didn't hold that much data after all compared to the company you kept.

You can try a Database=>information=>Tables button=>select all tables and hit optimize button.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• surajvuksurajvuk Member Posts: 4
    I will attempt to backup only and restore only one company and untick the data common to all companies.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    surajvuk wrote:
    I would like possible suggestion on how to reduce the DB usage. Thank You.

Why? I can't Imagine you can even buy a drive smaller than 100gig or so. Since there will only ever be one database on one RAID array, you have 25 times more space than you need.

What are you actually trying to achieve?
    David Singleton
  • surajvuksurajvuk Member Posts: 4
    Well my client have over 200 store bases. The cost of upgrading all drives will be a lot. The original drive sizes are 40gb and partitioned into 50/50. Plus we have other application running on drives.

We decided to archive the closed companies and bring them back centrally. In this way we can reduce the native database usage but my base on my test we are only 1 per cent better off.