hair splitting XML encoding problems

jordi79jordi79 Member Posts: 274
Hi,

I have to export xml files in a specific char encoding. Is there any easier way to do this, apart of coming up with the character maps my self in NAV and converting each string?

Is there an automation object existing in NAV that I can use for this encoding? I came across this tool -->

http://www.kalytta.com/tools.php

And it seems promising. But if possible, I do not want to install any new components and just use what is existing in NAV. Because server is hosted in a central environment, and would not want to introduce any changes if at all possible.

help is much appreciated....

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There is no way "by default". Exporting through XMLPort is using UTF-8 or UTF-16, you cannot change that. May be in some future versions, but not today... But! If the codepage is correctly marked in the XML tag, it is on the reading part to decode the data correctly. Applications at the end should be able to encode the data from UTF-8 correctly. I think that there must be way how to make some compromise when you ask them...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jordi79jordi79 Member Posts: 274
    the xml export is for some banking system usage. And i doubt that they can compromise on the encodings. But, I have created my own function to encode the texts into the format that is required. But I was just wondering that in the xmldom if they are functions already that I can use. Because one of the challenges I had in encoding is that I have to send each value that is to be placed into xml tags to be encoded, and not the whole text file. I would have preferred if I were send the whole file, and somehow I can only encode the values in xml tags.