Is there a simple way to log an error during posting

JosephGressJosephGress Member Posts: 36
I would like to create a custom table named "Error Log" with a few fields like "Entry No.", "User ID", Date and Time to record certain details about when a certain error occurs during a standard posting. The code for doing this would be pretty simple except that the error won't be recorded because the transaction gets rolled back due to the error. I can think of several ways around this but they all seem rather messy and cumbersome. Do any of you have any tricks to accomplish this? Thanks.
Joseph Gress

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    If your NAV version supports it, you can use GETLASTERRORTEXT in combination with IF Codeunit.RUN THEN; to retrieve the error message. See for example the thread How to store the error messages in Navision while posting PO
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • JosephGressJosephGress Member Posts: 36
    Thanks Luc. I considered using the GETLASTERRORTEXT as you suggested but decided to go a different route because I didn't want to change the standard posting code. I decided to append the errors to an error file on the network using FILE commands. I used a UNC file path that all users have access to so that all users are appending to the same file.
    Joseph Gress