Year change creates invoices with wrong Sales Invoice No. ?

dlauwersdlauwers Member Posts: 127
Dynamics NAV 4.0 sp3 on SQL

Hi,

My client has the following problem:
When they create an invoice from a sales order that was partialy shipped in 2011, they will get the an invoice number for the new invoice for the remaining or yet another partial schipment of 2011 instead of 2012.

In the Sales Order header there is a field called "Last Posting No.". That is filled with the number that the new invoice will get. I have to make this blank before the new invoice created from the sales order of 2011 will receive the correct invoice number.

Manual invoices are created correctly, also Sales Orders of 2012 are also created correctly. Only the old partialy shipped Sales orders seem to have the problem?

How can I make NAV do this correctly ?
I have searched the knowledge base at Partnersource and did some searching on the internet, but no real hits about this kind of problem. Can't find any setting that is related to this either.

Is this a bug ??

Anybody an idea how I can fix this ? I could dive into code and hack this to make sure this field is always blank when creating an invoice from an order, but I don't know if that is a good idea or not ?

Hope you can help me with this :D

Thanks
Danny

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    dlauwers wrote:
    How can I make NAV do this correctly ? Is this a bug ??

This is a problem created by using the date (year) in an invoice number.
    An Invoice number is just a number nothing more nothing less.
    You've given this number the power to miscalculate on occasions.

Most people don't need to see the date or year in their invoice number..that's what posting date's, invoice dates, order dates, shipping dates are for.
    There is no bug.

G-G-G-Men!
  • dlauwersdlauwers Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for your reply,

But in Belgium this is common practice to use a year in the invoice number to get unique invoice numbers year after year. The Cronus Extended Demo data (for Belgium) also has this kind of number series for the posted invoices No's series.

It is often the case that the existing numbering as the customer did with his pre-Dynamics NAV accounting software should be used (preferable) in the new installed Dynamics NAV. And that is often year based!

If you should use continuing growing number, this would not be a problem I guess!

But any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
    Danny
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    This is not a bug, this is by design.
    and it's not last posting no that determines the next invoice no, but "posting no." that will determine the next posting number.
    It's not good to make sure this fields is empty before posting, because it gives a chance of gaps in the numbering. And as you (should) know, this is illegal in Belgium.

I think the client faces the problem when trying to ship and invoice the remaining quantity, he/she gets an error stating the posting date is not within their allowed range (this is were it goes wrong). Changes the posting date and posts it, with an old shipment and invoice number as a result.
    This is because when trying to post an invoice/shipment, the number is assigned before the posting date is checked.
    And based on the posting date, the matching No. series line is selected for the next number.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|