Sales Order & Copy Document

ZephyrZephyr Member Posts: 110
Well i have some questions,

Scenario 1 ::
I have a Sales Order, now i am going post this by Invoice option but i got an error "There is nothing to post".

Scenario 2 ::
Now take a new angle, I am creating an invoice by Copy Document (from same Order) now i am posting this Invoice and no issue occurs this time.

Scenario 3 ::
Now i post my order by Ship option (perfectly done) but still Order stand although Invoice has been done for this Order.

First point :: Why i can not do invoice before Ship from Sales Order?
Second point :: If i used Copy Document then Invoice should link to Order, but it do not happens.
Third point :: After post Invoice, even after that i have permission to create again an invoice or multiple invoice against that order by copy document.

I know ship should be done first first then why do it give permission to use Copy Document.
Zephyr

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Zephyr wrote:
    Second point :: If i used Copy Document then Invoice should link to Order, but it do not happens.
    Third point :: After post Invoice, even after that i have permission to create again an invoice or multiple invoice against that order by copy document.

on your second point are you refering to Posted invoice saving the orig order no?
    My system:
    Order->Posted invoice (See field 44 Order No.)
    Invoice->Posted Invoice (See field 111 Pre-Assigned No.)

I don't understand your 3rd point at all. What are you saying you should only be able to copy document once per document?
  • ZephyrZephyr Member Posts: 110
    Savatage wrote:
    Zephyr wrote:

on your second point are you refering to Posted invoice saving the orig order no?
    My system:
    Order->Posted invoice (See field 44 Order No.)
    Invoice->Posted Invoice (See field 111 Pre-Assigned No.)

I don't understand your 3rd point at all. What are you saying you should only be able to copy document once per document?

No Savatage, you got me wrong .... you are talking about after post and i am before post

For first point :: i am talking about Sales Order before post ... why i can not post ship before invoice.
    Second point :: here i am also taking about Before post sales order ..... what i mean is if i am using Copy Document then then it should link.
    Third point :: Now i am talking for after post Sales Invoice (by Copy document ), i have still permission to create and post that.
    Zephyr
  • bstnalmbstnalm Member Posts: 25

First point: shouldn't this be the correct business process?
    Second point: In order to link to the Order, you should specify the Sell-to Customer and use the Get Shipment Lines function instead of the Copy Document function.
    Third point: because the invoice that you created has no linkage to the mentioned Order.
    bstnalm wrote:

First point: shouldn't this be the correct business process?
    Second point: In order to link to the Order, you should specify the Sell-to Customer and use the Get Shipment Lines function instead of the Copy Document function.
    Third point: because the invoice that you created has no linkage to the mentioned Order.

First point :: acceptable but if i am able to create invoice by copy document then donot you thing there should also an option to post invoice before ship.
    Second point :: i am copy my Order details into invoice not Shipment details, what if i did not shipped.
    Third point :: Exactly i am saying there is no linkage from invoice to order by copy document, but is should be.
    Zephyr
  • mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,504
    For First Point we have prepayment functionality :-k
  • bstnalmbstnalm Member Posts: 25
    I suppose the Copy Document function is to assist us in creating a new sales document by copying the order header/lines information from another document, and not to apply to a specific sales order directly.

Maybe you shouldn't use a Sales Order in the first place if you do not intend to ship the goods?
    Look its not about me or my process, its about a ideal business process,

1. If i am not able to post invoice first then it should not popup in post window until i do not post ship.
    2. If i am using Copy document it should link to Document No. from where its coming up
    3. and if i have done invoice (fully amount) against an order then it should not give the permission user to use again Copy Document fun. for creating an invoice against same order. There should be a another function or option to use copy documt for just copy header, line and respective their details

for first point mohana gave a better option.
    Zephyr
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    But it's not the same order. It's a new similar order. When you use copy document you are creating a new order. Copy document is a time saver. Sometimes we ship the same items to multiple customers, so we create one and copy doc the others. There is no reason for them to have some sort of link.
    Personally I think you should always ship first before invoicing unless its just an invoice type.
  • dansdans Member Posts: 148
    unfortunately, the 'ideal' business process is different from one person to another person.
    In Navision, a copy is there to help save time entering similar purchase orders. It makes sense not to have a link between them.

If user needs to enter similar (but different) multiple orders, do you prefer they input the orders one by one, or have a copy function to save time and make their work easier ?
    Microsoft Certified IT Professional for Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Just a happy frood who knows where his towel is
    and what about invoice, when i am creating a invoice by Copy Document from a Sales Order ... how can i post multi time invoice against a order with all same field (like full amt, full qty)
    Zephyr