Generic Item_BOS

VRD1VRD1 Member Posts: 6
Hello all,
I am a system analyst, I am new to Navision world and I am trying to find a way to handle private label items.

Let's say certain customers are flagged in a way that we only ship them private label item, as you can see trigger is the customer, if the item A is going to customer X it will be named item B although physical item is still A!

here is the exact scenario:
• Private label items are being generated from parent items by kitting ( item # is saved as generic item# on the item card)
• Physical Items have physical barcodes of the parent item ( = generic item#) and are being scanned to the system so that they can be invoiced and shipped to the customer
• When the parent item’s physical barcode is being scanned to the system , system should be able to recognize based on customer that this will be a private label item, and show on the invoice the private label item# (sales invoice line will have the main item # of the item card for that private label)

The goal is to eliminate the change of physical barcode on private label items

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    edited 2012-01-30
    Take steps...you say, " system should be able to recognize based on customer that this will be a private label item"

How are you marking these private label customers now?
    Price Group? Dimension? Custom Boolean "Private Label Customer"?
  • VRD1VRD1 Member Posts: 6
    Savatage wrote:
    Take steps...you say, " system should be able to recognize based on customer that this will be a private label item"

How are you marking these private label customers now?
    Price Group? Dimension? Custom Boolean "Private Label Customer"?

Price codes
    Before the system can do anything automatically you need to have a way of distinguishing these customers.
    Then think is it that black or white? Could it be a certain customer "sometimes" gets private label stuff.
    If your feeling out what kind of a project this would be then make sure you cover all senarios.

I see you posted Price Codes. Now do you think it will always be that specific price code? What if you want to add a new price code to that in the future or change the price code you are already using.
    That's why I would use a new field on the customer table "Private Label Customer" checkbox or something to avoid HARD Coding.

What are finally lookign for?
    Some code or where to write code to handle this for you?
    Do you just want to change the invoicing report to show the values you want?
    Savatage wrote:
    Before the system can do anything automatically you need to have a way of distinguishing these customers.
    Then think is it that black or white? Could it be a certain customer "sometimes" gets private label stuff.
    If your feeling out what kind of a project this would be then make sure you cover all senarios.

I see you posted Price Codes. Now do you think it will always be that specific price code? What if you want to add a new price code to that in the future or change the price code you are already using.
    That's why I would use a new field on the customer table "Private Label Customer" checkbox or something to avoid HARD Coding.

Do you just want to change the invoicing report to show the values you want?[/quote

If the customer has "pl" price code that item will ALWAYS be sold as a private label to that customer ( in case requirement changes , price code on customer table will be changed).
    So my question is can system see one item# and convert it to a different item# based on customer?
    VRD1 wrote:
    Savatage wrote:

Do you just want to change the invoicing report to show the values you want?[/quote

If the customer has "pl" price code that item will ALWAYS be sold as a private label to that customer ( in case requirement changes , price code on customer table will be changed).
    So my question is can system see one item# and convert it to a different item# based on customer?

That is a great point!

As you mentioned by change of business requirements, one customer can have multiple price codes so the solution can not be in customer table, but maybe in invoice level, we can implement a change by adding a field on sales line and sales invoice line to check yes or no if the PL pricing will be used or not?
    ultimately I was looking for automation with existing tools without much development, but I guess any solution: change of report or coding is ok , as long as it can solve the problem which is manually going in sales line and changing the generic item# to private label item#
    Obviously this a custom solution for your business.
    We can only speculate on how you want the final product to work.

Are looking for some warning message during order entry, which preventis a user from entering either ITEM-A or ITEM-B depending on some conditions? If this is the case and your and end user, you will have to contact your partner for this will require coding which I'm assuming your license will not allow you to do on your own.
    Savatage wrote:
    Obviously this a custom solution for your business.
    We can only speculate on how you want the final product to work.

Are looking for some warning message during order entry, which preventis a user from entering either ITEM-A or ITEM-B depending on some conditions? If this is the case and your and end user, you will have to contact your partner for this will require coding which I'm assuming your license will not allow you to do on your own.

I think that will work! and we have a great partner that I hope they can build this.

End user at some point has to make the call : item A or B and chose the right item for that customer but once that is specified, it should automatically update the item#.

Thanks for your help.