Premission issues

AGLinerAGLiner Member Posts: 4
I am pretty new to Nav and also this company, but I will try and detail as much information as possible

Background information on our system.
Nav 4.0
Sql backend

Recently we had a update done to our system for the new year of tax brackets and tax codes. The monday when we came back we were having a large number of our users (basically the ones without super) having issues accessing a number of the tables. I added the tables as they ran into them to the premissions, for the most part they had access to the table data but were unable to run the table so I would add the ability to run the table. so far this has worked for the majority of the tables but there are 2 so far that I have given premission to but the users are still not able to access, the tables are the Employees table and the Production Order table.

Pleas let me know if you need anymore information.

Thank you

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    What security model are you on? You can check under File --> Database --> Alter. Should be the last tab. If you are on Enhanced you will need to do a Tools --> Security --> Synchronize to push the permissions down to SQL.

Can the super users run these tables? If not then it is a license issue.

It's possible that the person/company that updated your data did so with a partner license, which would have given them access to those tables. They could have inadvertently put data in them, which would cause issues when using your own customer license. If there is no data in the table, and you do no have permission to read it, then NAV just keeps on running. But when there is data in the table and you don't have permission, it throws an error.
  • AGLinerAGLiner Member Posts: 4
    Enhanced. When I go to Synchronize, it throws up an error that it can't find the users on the server.

Super users are able to run the tables.

I had recorded when they accessed our system and I have rewatched the video now, it seems that they were not able to get in using the supplied login and instead of asking for a different login, they loaded thier license file and did the changes. How would I go about correcting this issue?
  • AGLinerAGLiner Member Posts: 4
    I have managed to slove the issue, I am unsure if this is the correct way to do it or not.

I logged onto SQL server and checked the permissions there. Noticed that some users were set to use public and some where set to use specific permissions.
    I used the command

GRANT SELECT ON [Databasename.dbo.Table] TO PUBLIC

after doing this the users were able to access the tables that they needed.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Definitely not the way to go about it.

You need to get your SQL Server Users, SQL Database Users, and NAV Users all in sycnh. Then run the Synchronize Security. Incidentally, you should also look into moving down to Standard security unless you have a reason to be on Enhanced (Search the forum)
  • claus2110claus2110 Member Posts: 2
    This issue can happen every time there is a change to a table or a new table is added. By using the enhanced security model user permissions are not synchronized automatically, therefor you have to do it manually. If you are not planning to use the "benefits" of the enhanced model, you should consider changing it to standard, and then the permissions will synchronize automatically.