Options

accessing navision using activex automation

cadlan123cadlan123 Member Posts: 3
is there a way to communicate with navision comming from another application using activex automation. I would like to open a custom-form or any other object comming from this other application.
does anybody has an example in VB?

Thanks for help
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Navision does not have its own activex communication components. If you really must you can create activex libraries that bridge communication between your application and navision, but then you will need a good VB6 developer.

And the navision client always needs to be open.

Not an easy sollution though.
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    watungwatung Member Posts: 29
    My two cents that you might want to start with:

(1) C\FRONT (libraries in APIs, OCXs), if you want to create external app which have access to Navision data.

(2) or C\ODBC to access Navision data through ODBC

(3) and to access Automation/OCX from Navision, just create variables of type Automation/OCX in C\SIDE.

Or you probably want to take a look at the ".NET Development with Navision" whitepaper
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=353
  • Options
    cadlan123cadlan123 Member Posts: 3
    are there any sample somewhere about c/front ocx?
  • Options
    watungwatung Member Posts: 29
    Do you have access to PartnerSource? You may download it there. Some example includes an Excel (macro) file accessing Navision data using CFRONT.
  • Options
    GrantGrant Member Posts: 30
    I have a similar problem it seems. I would like to have Navision generate an email stating that a PO requires approval. In a perfect world, that email would contain a PO number. Then, when the email recipient (a different user) clicks on the PO number in their email, it would launch Navision (if not already active), and place the user directly into the Navision PO screen. They would have immediate access to all of the standard Navision PO functionality.

The problem with C/Front is I would have to duplicate all necessary Navision functionality outside of Navision, and the user would not be in the more familiar Navision environment. If anybody has thoughts on how this can be done, I'd love to hear it!