Nav Native DB Performance with Version 6 Client

chrisdfchrisdf Member Posts: 82
Hi,

Has anyone noticed a performance issue with the Native Database when simply upgrading the client and server executables from version 5 to version 6? On some customer sites with the native DB split over three disk pairs using version 5 executables the performance is fantastic. We have recently advised a couple of customers to do the same thing (splitting DB over several disks) but in the process we upgraded the executables to version 6. We did not see the same increase in performance that we saw with the V5 client.

Recently I upgraded another customer from V5 executables to V6 executables (single disk) and this customer is now complaining about slow ODBC performance and also slow running of some reports like Aged Receivables.

Apart from the "Native DB is dead" response - is anyone else seeing this and found a solution?? Is it simply the case that V6 executables are much "heavier" on local resources than V5??

Thaks for any feedback on this one!

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Are you sure that you have set up DBMS cache correctly after the upgrade?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • chrisdfchrisdf Member Posts: 82
    Yes, first thing I checked. It is set to 1Gb (I know that is max) but everything does start OK.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Chris this sounds very odd.

The classic client server hasn't really changed since the DOS version.

First thing you need to do is run some tests and get some facts. You need to set up before and after scenarios and run timed tests. Making sure that in each before after test you only change one thing at a time.

You are correct that adding drives should make things faster IFF it is done correctly. Maybe the client created 3 LUNs on a SAN. You need to be 100% certain that these are 3 independent RAID 1 arrays each made of two physical dedicated drives.

Personally the remark "advised a couple of customers" doesn't sit well with me. You need to go on site and supervise this to make sure it is done correctly. In the current virtual world, even RDP wont tell the true story.
    David Singleton
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Did you also enable the COMMIT cache?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• chrisdfchrisdf Member Posts: 82
    Yes, Commit Cache is enabled.