Accessing Navision DB from Perl via ODBC

waverlywaverly Member Posts: 4
edited 2001-07-13 in Navision Financials
Okay, here's my problem. I'm currently running a Navision 2.01b database on an NT 4.0 server and the 2.01b client on a W2k box. I have the Navision ODBC driver installed on the w2k box and I'm using the Perl ODBC module to access the Navision database. My problem with this, is that whenever I query the database (i.e. "SELECT * FROM Item"), I get nothing returned.

Just for kicks, I decided to try and open the NF DB through Access, and it worked fine. I could view all of the Navison tables through Access. Again, for kicks, I decided to setup the Access ODBC driver, and connected to the Access Database that I had just linked tables into from Navision, from Perl. When I queried that DB, it worked fine. Why is it, that I can query an access Database which is linked to the NF DB, but I can't query the NF DB directly? This has perplexed me for the past month and a half. Can anyone help?

Comments

• MacMac Member Posts: 5
    Sorry I can't you with your question, but as someone similarily perplexed with ODBC and SQL maybe you can help me!

I need to select and update dBaseIV files from Navision, I am using an ocx to run SQL commands, but I need to sort out the DSN.

I am attempting to configure a datasource using a Microsoft ODBC driver. From ODBC dBase setup I select directory, no problem, I then select Indexes and I can see a list of the .mdx files, but there is nothing in the 'List Files of type' list and no indexes are listed in the 'Select Unique Record Identifier' window for the .mdx file.

It just doesn't seem to work under Windows 98, but on a p.c. running Windows NT it is showing the unique identifiers!

Any ideas anyone? It's driving me crazy!
  • waverlywaverly Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, I don't know anything about dBaseIV or OCX. Y'know, I didn't really think about it, but could it be possible that Windows 2000/NT and 98 react differently with the ODBC drivers? Could explain a lot of problems I've been having.
  • MacMac Member Posts: 5
    I've just been on a tour of our office conducting an experiment on which ODBC driver works on which windows version, with inconsistent results. (i.e. allows you to select unique record identifiers from the select indexes window when setting up the DSN.) However, I did find that driver ver. 4.00.4403.02 with core components ver. 3.520.4403.2 works on NT but does not work on a windows 98, so I guess this proves you are probably right!

As for all the other versions:
    driver 3.50.3428.00, core comp. 3.510.3711.0 works on win 95
    As for wnodows 98, nothing seems to work.

Fascinating eh?!

Does anybody know whats going on here, because this problem is coming between me and a nifty interface.