Options

Multiple RTC versions on the same pc or server - old reports

pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
edited 2012-01-04 in NAV Three Tier
I just updated the NAV build version for a client on a Citrix server, but didn't consider that the RTC finds the Classic client via the registry:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... ports.aspx

Has anyone found a work-around for this issue, so we an have different RTC versions on the same server, and still use old reports via the Classic client?
Regards
Peter

Comments

• Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    yess you can start rtc client trough a script or batch or something which calls different .reg files that change the registry. Maybe a small .net application would be even nicer if you are familiar with dot net.

here are the registry keys that needed to be changed:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\finsql.exe]
    "Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\\60\\Classic\\"
    @="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\\60\\Classic\\finsql.exe"

Just create a .reg and a batch file for every version you have, create some nice shortcuts to them with nav logo and there you go.
  • Options
    Yes, this will work for a client pc and only running one NAV RTC at a time. However; this is a Citrix server with multiple users. I guess this setting effects everybody.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    Maybe you can replace the finsql.exe that is called under that registry key with some kind of proxy application where you choose the client (from a list that is generated based on a config file) and start the real classic client with the arguments passed to the proxy application.

I did this but for the RTC, its a small version selector app, where i can select my rtc client version whenever a rtc link is called (DynamicsNAV:\\...) I haven't done that for classic client because it was no requirement but i assume it can be done the same way.
  • Options
    That could be a solution, unless NAV also uses the Path key found in the registry key to call DLLs or simular.

If I had the skills to quickly make make such a proxy, I would have tried it. However; we need a solution ASAP, so we are removing one of the Citrix servers from the load balancing group, and dedicate it to a specific NAV build.

Hey! I got the skills to make cmd files! That could be pretty old-school if I could make a simple cmd proxy 8)
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    A proxy solution seems to be a no go :cry:
    The RTC uses the registry value each time, so it is rather easy to test.
    First I tried pointing the Path key to an invalid path. That didn't matter, so it doesn't seem it is using the key.
    Then I tried pointing the exe-file key at a simple cmd file that prints the parameters. However; the RTC complains that the cmd file has the incorrect version. So even if we made an proxy in an exe file, it would still only have one version number.
    Out of curiosity - am I the only one who finds this to be a big problem with the RTC?
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    If you also find this to be a problem, then please vote for a solution here:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicss ... e-computer
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    aaarg... the version check thing... :( sad to hear it's not possible...