Options

Remote Support with a partner license, but prevent copying

mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
edited 2012-02-01 in NAV Three Tier
When we visit the customer and open the customer database we can do some development/debugging using the option >Extra>License>Modify and open a partner license from C:\partner.flf

Doing Remote support with RDP and directly connect to the NAV Server I can open the partner license from \\tsclient\C\partner.flf

But sometimes I need to connect to a different server first;
- Start RDP to Server1
- From Server1 Desktop start RDP to Server2 (Navision server)
- Now I can't use \\tsclient\C\partner.flf but if we upload the partner license to Server1 then it works again

I dont like this option because if we forget to delete the license on Server1 the customer has a partner license.

Is there a smart way to temporarely use/load a partner license but prevent the customer from making a copy?

Comments

• Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Yes, put it in your terms of service.
    If they (ab)use your partner license then <insert consequenses here>
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Sog wrote:
    Yes, put it in your terms of service.
    If they (ab)use your partner license then <insert consequenses here>

Have you tried enforcing that?
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    You could try saving the license file on an ftp server. When you do the license change, type in ftp://ftp.myaddress.com and you will be prompted for the login/password and you can navigate to the license. It will make a copy in a temp directory somewhere on the server, but that's semi-better than the alternative.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I have once renamed the developers fin.flf to fin.dll and put it in some directory. You can select this "dll" file when selecting the license file. NAV will remember the directory though where the license file was last selected, so be sure you use this "trick" with your own login (or select the customers license when you are finished).
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    I have once renamed the developers fin.flf to fin.dll and put it in some directory. You can select this "dll" file when selecting the license file. NAV will remember the directory though where the license file was last selected, so be sure you use this "trick" with your own login (or select the customers license when you are finished).

This is an option I could use. Thx.
  • Options
    matttrax wrote:
    You could try saving the license file on an ftp server. When you do the license change, type in ftp://ftp.myaddress.com and you will be prompted for the login/password and you can navigate to the license. It will make a copy in a temp directory somewhere on the server, but that's semi-better than the alternative.

I tried loading the .flf file with ftp://ftp.myaddress.com/fin.flf but that downloads the .flf file as text and NAV didn't load it. I must investigate how to push it to download it as binary..
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I tried loading the .flf file with ftp://ftp.myaddress.com/fin.flf but that downloads the .flf file as text and NAV didn't load it. I must investigate how to push it to download it as binary..

I've only tried this when importing code, so it may not work for licenses.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Can't you use a WEBDAV folder?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Email the license to your hotmail/gmail account and download it to where you're working. When you're done, open the license in notepad, select all, delete, save, and then delete the license.
  • Options
    Update:

Got the ftp en web download working. But after a few days noticed that in the background the fin.flf is saved also in the temp internet files folder. ](*,)

Webdav is the only one left to try. Will update this topic.

Maybe there is an C/AL command to change the license?