chart of account

nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
hi guys,

if i have a main account-

1.ABC-TRADE (12000) which is comprises of external trade and internal trade

do i create create 2 sub account 12,001(external) and 12,002(internal)

and indent them under 12,000?

besides indenting them how can i tell navision that both 12,001 & 12,002 have the same 'parents' account 12,000?

Comments

• aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    The beauty of Dynamics NAV is that you don't need a subaccounts in this example. You're main account 'ABC-TRADE (12000)' is the posting account, and then you can use dimension values for 'External' and 'Internal' to give to the appropriate customer records for posting.

Then you can use the analysis by dimension to get your account schedules and reports.

That is my opinion so I thought I would share.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    True enough.

You can also just setup account 12000 as a Begin-Total (non-posting) account, indent 12001 and 12002 below it, then setup a 4th account (12099 for example) as an End-Total (again non-posting).

The way you do it, different account or dimensions or perhaps some combination, depends on your business needs.
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    Also, assuming that this account is a receivable, you should consider how the Sales & Receivables functionality works.

If you have 2 trade receivables accounts, one for internal and one for external, then you will need two Customer Posting Groups.

Similarly if this is a Trade Payables account - you'll need two Vendor Posting Groups.

So when you set up a vendor/customer, you'll need to know if they are "internal" or "external".

Ron
    Ron
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    rsaritzky wrote:
    Also, assuming that this account is a receivable, you should consider how the Sales & Receivables functionality works.

If you have 2 trade receivables accounts, one for internal and one for external, then you will need two Customer Posting Groups.

Similarly if this is a Trade Payables account - you'll need two Vendor Posting Groups.

So when you set up a vendor/customer, you'll need to know if they are "internal" or "external".

Ron

This.

Typically, dimensions are not used on balance sheet accounts.
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    [/quote]Typically, dimensions are not used on balance sheet accounts.[/quote]

I agree. Nikeman's post used the term "sub account" but in his example, it really wasn't referring to use of a dimension. I might use the term "subsidiary" or "rollup" account. That's why I mentioned use of multiple posting groups (which has nothing to do with dimensions). But he did ask about determining a subaccount based on the value of the account. I was making no judgement of why.

Ron
    Ron
  • nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
    rsaritzky,

you read my mind =D>