Upgrade and data migration

AtreiuAtreiu Member Posts: 51
Excuse if there is wide documentation, but I did not find it...

The question is simple:
I'm upgrading a NAV2009 (based on SQL) system to a new installation of NAV2009 SP1. After doing it I must migrate data. How can I do that?

The second question: what if the tables are not identical?

thank you

Comments

• AtreiuAtreiu Member Posts: 51
    I found something...
    Inside installation files: Upgrade toolkit.

(almost solved)
  • SPost29SPost29 Member Posts: 148
    Good Luck on this. I have been through this several times as a consultant/developer and as a end user. I still would not attempt this on my own. It is a very specialized process.
    It is generally not a creative process, but a very time consuming and precision, mind numbing, process that demands extreme attention to details and the following of protocals
    Many NAV solution centers have a department that just does upgrades. Check into the cost of having your solution center do it. It is surprisingly affordable(depending on the number of modifications). You can save a lot of money by your concentrating on the testing and internal organization of the upgrade, where the more you can do internally the more you can save.
    If you are an end user -- I would have my solution center do it or at least the hardest parts!
    If you are not an end user -- I would find someone else in my solution center to do it!

You can tell how much I have enjoyed upgrading even when I had the unlimited support of my entire solution center or as an end user supported by our solution center.
    Investigate this completely before you invest too much time.

Steve
  • AtreiuAtreiu Member Posts: 51
    Unfortunately support from our partners is not unlimited... so I will try to do it by myself... asking them if I am in a big difficult...
    Does anyone have advice on doing data migration... such as documentation, protocols, process planning...

thank you so far...
  • satbirsatbir Member Posts: 33
    Follow the documentation carefully in Upgrade toolkit and ask questions if you have doubts.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You won't be able to do an upgrade without the developer license... :(
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Atreiu wrote:
    Unfortunately support from our partners is not unlimited...

Why would you expect it to be? As Steve says, get your partner involved. And yes, expect to pay for their services and/or advice. They are not in the charity business.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.