ADDON best Practice

cavalcanti_spacecavalcanti_space Member Posts: 49
Hi guys,

We are an ISV and we will develop and ADD-On solution.
I have some question and hope you could advise me.

Is it correct to create on ADD-On which will insert some code on the codeunit 80?
Our problem is that we will have to create several field on the table sales header, but we are concerned with the number of the fields. We know the table has limit size.
Our idea was to create another table linked to header and enter the data on that table. But the problem is the post. We will need to delete the data from that new table and post the value to a new table linked to the sales invoice header.

We really dont want to create the fields on the sales header due to its size limit.

do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks and Regards,

Edson

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    People often forget that the ONLY purpose of the posted sales invoice is to be able to reprint an invoice. So if you have fields that you are passing to the posted sale invoice that will NOT be printed on the invoice, then the design of your Add-On is completely wrong and needs to be rethought out and possibly redesigned from scratch.

In most cases where I see ISVs making this mistake what they should have been doing is creating a Ledger Entry table specific to the Add-On, but for some reason people don't do that any more.

Code unit 80 should be calling a posting routine in your Add-On that handles all the fields that you require.
    David Singleton
  • cavalcanti_spacecavalcanti_space Member Posts: 49
    Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.
    I reckon the best idea is to create a ledger entry as we will have many fields.
    Do you think it is correct to call a post routine from codeunit 80. What I mean is as we sell the add-on to many clients we will always have to do a merge of the codeunit as most of the clients have this codeunit customized.

thanks
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    There is no problem in adding things to codeunit 80, as long as you design it correctly like David reccomends.

I hate advertizing, but my book describes a lot of these design patterns and best practices. Why don't you start there.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I hate advertizing
    I beg to differ :mrgreen: