Upgrade from NAV 4.0 GB to NAV 5.0 W1

havhav Member Posts: 299
Hi,
I am trying to upgrade our internal NAV system from 4.0 GB to NAV 5.0 W1.
Our internal NAV system is basically used for handling company Accounts and has few customization done for internal purpose.

I have read the upgrade guides and i understand how to do it.
I have few doubts.
--> Does upgrading from GB to W1 have any implication on our Accounts data since there are various accounts in different currencies being consolidated. If at all then how do i check it.
--> While using the developer's toolkit, i have created three reference version viz
(a) NAV 4.0 GB base version
(b) NAV 4.0 GB custom version
(c) NAV 5.0 W1 base version
All the above version contains only objects that are being customized in NAV 4.0 GB custom version.
In the Merge Setup window, what should be "Focus on" set to?
I have set to 'All versions". Is this correct?
If not, which one should be other option and why?
--> Once the database is upgraded to NAV 5.0 W1, how do i carry out parallel testing. I mean which areas related to Account should be tested?

Please advise.

Regards,
Hemant
Regards,
Hemant
MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Why is your company running GB version in India? Also why are you now dumping GB in favor of W1?

Either way you need to contact your partner to do this. Not only do you not have access to the license, but also from the steps you describe above, its pretty clear you have not done this before and don't know the correct steps.

If you are doing it in house to try to save money, you wont. The cheapest solution is to have your partner do this for you. They will have done this many times before and will understand the GB->W1 issues that you clearly do not.
    David Singleton
  • havhav Member Posts: 299
    Hi David,
    Thanks for your concern.

Firstly, we are Microsoft Certified Partner and are engaged in developing NAV add-ons to our Home product.
    We have internal use license for Dynamics NAV.
    Its a long history why we are migrating from GB to W1 and hence i cannot explain it right now.

Yes i am doing this upgrade for the first time and i think this will be a learning exercise for me.
    I am doing the code upgrade and not the data upgrade at the moment so i need guidance on the same lines.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    W1 is the base license and each other version adds functionality. Since you are running on an internal use license, table permissions should not be a problem, but the W1 code may not use all the tables you are using with your GB license, and you will need to modify the upgrade programs accordingly.
  • havhav Member Posts: 299
    Thanks for your advise.

We had our internal discussion and it seems that upgrading to GB would be better than W1.

I now have only one query,
    --> Once the database is upgraded to NAV 5.0 GB, how do i carry out parallel testing. I mean which areas related to Account should be tested?
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I recommend testing everything. Otherwise you run the risk of getting errors once you are live and at inconvenient times.
    You can pay more attention to the areas you have customized, but still you should test everything.
    You also should compare the data from your old version to your converted version and make sure all your reports have the same information.
    Jobs were rewritten in version 5, so if you are running jobs, then that area will change a lot.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    hav wrote:
    Thanks for your advise.

We had our internal discussion and it seems that upgrading to GB would be better than W1.

You are welcome. In the circumstances I think you made a good decision. Removing all the GB mods will be difficult. There are some intrusive mods in GB.
    David Singleton