Changes on the Gen. Journal Batch

johnny_martins00johnny_martins00 Member Posts: 39
Hi,
First post and probably the first of many :)

I’m designing a future model of my client ERP, NAV based, for my client, and I’m with several doubts on my model, in what concerns to possibility, on my design off course :).

I’m thinking making some changes, adding new fields, on the Gen. Journal Batch design, and i wonder if it's possible to achieve that?

My idea it's to have a custom table, for customizing purpose only, that has the relationship on Batch ID->Several GL account and numbering object. Every time that a user opens a Journal Batch, the system reads the custom table, and if there is customizing for that batch the field numbering object it's already filled, with no option of modification, and a the custom field on the batch comes with the accounts that are in the table.

Is this possible? If so how can i achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
João Martins

EDIT - After some searches i've found that what i need it's to change the journals structure, but apparently im unable to do it.. Does anyone allready changed journals structure?

Answers

• johnny_martins00johnny_martins00 Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

Does anyone allready add some custom fields to a Jornal batch? In each table do i have to add the required fields?
    In witch form?

Can anyone help me on this subject pls?

Thanks in Advance
    Best Regards
    João Martins
  • SPost29SPost29 Member Posts: 148
    don't forget in a base NAV table you can only add fields numbered 50000 to 99999.
    You also have to have the appropriate designer permissions on your NAV license.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Johnny why do you need to do this? What is the business requirement? I assume you are an end user. Have you discussed this with your partner?
    David Singleton
    Hi,
    First of all thanks for your replies guys.

David my partner says it's not possible... I believe it is. Custom table and forms it's not a problem, we only want to have the same kind of process that we have now on the original system.

My requirement it's to have about 10 predefined journals instead of 100 like my partner purposed to... Each journal will have predefined accounts, and other information, that will vary based on journal name and other characteristics.

This predefined information will be customized on a custom table, that will read each time a journal it's opened, based on the journal name and a custom field that will be added to the journal structure the predefined information will be filled on the journals batch.

Is this possible? It's a simple DB read at the open event on the Batch journal form.

Thanks

Best Regards,
    João Martins
    we only want to have the same kind of process that we have now on the original system.

If your old system did it the way you want, then why did you upgrade to Navision. The best advise might be to go back to your old system if that is what you want.
    David Singleton
    David,

That’s not the point, like i said we want to maintain the same usual processes on the future system, in order to be a easy system transfer to the end users.

If we are migrating system, off course that the usual system doesn’t cover all the functionalities that NAV will cover and that’s why we are migrating...

Thanks for your advice.

Regards
    Joao Martins
    David,

That’s not the point, like i said we want to maintain the same usual processes on the future system, in order to be a easy system transfer to the end users.

Trust me Joao you are heading down the road to hell. Been there done that many times. If you want Navision to be a success then do it the Navision way. Otherwise go back to your old system.

Have your partner train you in the way to do this in Navision. The fact that your partner says that this can not be done means you are very lucky and that you have a good solid partner you can trust. If you had a bad partner they would just take your money and damage the system the way you are asking.
    David Singleton
    Hi,

David thanks for your advices but i just don’t get it where the issue of adding a additional field to the journals item table and form, create a custom table and add some programmatically logic to the form to read the values from the custom table based on the value of the Journals item additional field...

Is it that so hard and problematic?

Thanks
    Best Regards
    João Martins
    You have not explained the business need. i.e. what does this add to your business.

If I went to a car mechanic and told him I wanted to change the headlights and instead wanted lights that were pink and flashed when the windscreen wipers are on, I would expect him to look at me a bit odd and try to find out what I really wanted before just doing what i asked.

But in the end if you want pink flashing lights, then I guess its your system, so find a partner that will do it for you.
    David Singleton