NAV 3.7 Nav 6.2 Conversion Issue

slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
I have a customer with 130 work stations that is runniing 3.70.... I am converting them to Nav 2009 ver 2...

The problem is a logistical one... These 130 work stations are spread out over 5 buildings and trhere is simply noway to get to all of them in one day.

I want to load the client onto each work station and leave the 3.70 cleint installed.

What cannot happen is one user tries to open the existing 3.7 databas with the 6.2 client and answers in the affirmative 2 times and converts the production database to 6.2 executables. It will kill us....

Is there a way to alter the 3.7 database so it flat out says "DENIED" if someone tries to access it witha 6.2 client?????

Scott Wilson aka SLOWHANDFAN

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Teach 2-3 people how to do it, it'll be done much more quickly. Get started on Friday evening, you'll have the whole weekend.
  • slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
    Teach 2-3 people how to do it, it'll be done much more quickly. Get started on Friday evening, you'll have the whole weekend.

That is not going to help in this case, but I do appreciate the reply
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Your normal users wont have permission to do this, so you just need to work with the super user(s) if someone is a super user and is not capable of reading and following a simple message, then they need to be sacked anyway, so this is probably the time to do it.
    David Singleton
  • slowhandfanslowhandfan Member Posts: 56
    Thanks David, no that I can use....
  • asmilie2basmilie2b Member Posts: 122
    When going from 4.0 SP2 to 6 R2 what I did to remove any doubt was to just install the new client to all pc's manually over a few weeks, and I deleted the shortcuts to it from the start menu. That way someone would really know what they were doing to launch the new app and point it at the DB. Then on the defined golive we had a VBScript put into the AD GPO that made new shortcuts that used the new client on all users desktops. They were instructed to use the new shortcuts.

Bruce Anderson
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    asmilie2b wrote:
    When going from 4.0 SP2 to 6 R2 what I did to remove any doubt was to just install the new client to all pc's manually over a few weeks, and I deleted the shortcuts to it from the start menu. That way someone would really know what they were doing to launch the new app and point it at the DB. Then on the defined golive we had a VBScript put into the AD GPO that made new shortcuts that used the new client on all users desktops. They were instructed to use the new shortcuts.
    Why not just create a shortcut with the complete connection parameters in it and send it to all the users?
    (You probably need to create multiple shortcuts: 1 for XP, 1 for W7 32 bit and 1 for W7 64bit).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• northernernortherner Member Posts: 67
    Have you considered App-V? No installing required. And if you need to upgrade the executables later on, no need to revisit each machine.