increase decimal places from 5 to 8

sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
Hi,

Our client required us to modify the decimal places of the quantity from 5 to 8 decimal places, what would be the best solutions or work around for this requirements, I saw all the qty. fields decimal places is hardcoded to 0:5 that I think will be huge modification if ever they push to modify this. Please advise. Thanks.

Regards,

Ricky
Sendoh
be smart before being a clever.

Comments

• SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Without any reason as to why the client wants to go to 8 decimal places, there is not much advice to give you.
    Only that
    1: very few companies actually need more than 5 decimal places.
    2: change of scale can work around the need for 8 places. (like mm -> µm)

Next is that I'm under the impression (I did not find a reference nor did I search) that NAV has a limit to only 5 decimal places, and might show unexpected behaviour if working with more.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Same for me: if you need something like that, there must be a reason. For me it looks like wrong base unit of measure is used and you need to work with small pieces of the base UoM. Like you are using BOX and one BOX includes 9 pieces. Than when you sell 1PCS, it must deduct 1/9 and this is problem. Better is to use PCS as base UoM and BOX only for purchase/sell.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • sendohsendoh Member Posts: 207
    Hi Kine and Sog, thanks for the feedback, actually this requirements is on the production side, they just want to use i.e KGS for the base uom of Item001 only 1 UOM per Item(they do this a lot of years on their legacy system) thats why when it comes to BOM they have qty. 0.0233211 and they want to stick with it.
    we still suggest that in this case, use Miligrams but they refuse to lessen the roundings. what would be the best reason to push your suggestion?
    Sendoh
    be smart before being a clever.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Best reason? E.g. Cost of maintenance, upgrade, possible hidden problems. Better is to use some process to recalculate everything once and use the "standard" system than trying to change the whole system regarding precision.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    sendoh wrote:
    ...and they want to stick with it.
    It's not just about what they want, it's also about what the ERP can manage.
    sendoh wrote:
    ...what would be the best reason to push your suggestion?
    That NAV is not a scientific calculator and they should draw a clear line between their legacy system and NAV. If the customer expects correct numbers in his financial statements then he should reconsider. Every system has its limits.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    sendoh wrote:
    they do this a lot of years on their legacy system

Ask them why they don't use their old legacy system any more? Why did they move to Navision.

This whole argument is silly and should have been resolved during the first couple of sales meetings.

Go back to your sales people and have them resolve this, don't try fixing sales mistakes with code.
    David Singleton
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Exactly! :thumbsup: