Navision Manufacturing Training

Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 207
Can some kind soul put me out of my misery and tell me which company(s) provide classroom training in Microsoft Dynamics NAV nowadays – looked on Partnersource and Microsoft Partner Network but just seem to be going around in endless circles!

Big thanks as always :D!
Big D signing off!

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Big D wrote:
    Can some kind soul put me out of my misery and tell me which company(s) provide classroom training in Microsoft Dynamics NAV nowadays – looked on Partnersource and Microsoft Partner Network but just seem to be going around in endless circles!

Big thanks as always :D!

Sadly I think class room training is dying. Partners still do this for their clients, but too many people are concentrating just on "Can someone send me the PDFs".

I have done a lot of training in my days, and by far most people gain the greatest benefit form classroom training. You learn not only from the teacher, but also the other students, and the pseudo competition also forces you to learn from your self.

In "the old days" you got certified in Navision by attending classes. Then partners said that they wanted tests at the end of classes to make sure their people were actually learning, so then you went to a class and sat a test and got certified. Then people started asking if they could just do the test without the training, and we ended up with what we have now. You go to one of the many web sites and buy the answers to the test, memorize them and get certified.

Sadly this is reflected in the quality of services out there.

I complain a lot about this, but in reality, I make a living fixing up the messes created by this system, so I should be happy about it I guess. :whistle:
    David Singleton
  • Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 207
    Thanks David - your always very honest.

Yes you confirmed by my struggle to find a classroom course that my fears are true that this type of training is in fact dying out. PDF's are good but you can't ask them any questions or whatif's!

With thanks

David
    Big D signing off!
    Big D wrote:
    Thanks David - your always very honest.

I know, I do need to stop doing that though, I am sure it scares customers away some times :-#
    David Singleton
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    @David
    Couldn't agree more. Apart from your statement there is also a shortage of qualified trainers who could REALLY teach you what NAV is all about. In some cases they were scared away by MS itself. On the other hand more and more companies are becoming NAV partners just because of the quick buck and there is no room or time for ext(p)ensive classroom training. The sheer number of bad projects out there sometimes takes my breath away and makes me wonder if this makes any sense at all...
    rhpnt wrote:
    @David
    Couldn't agree more. Apart from your statement there is also a shortage of qualified trainers who could REALLY teach you what NAV is all about. In some cases they were scared away by MS itself. On the other hand more and more companies are becoming NAV partners just because of the quick buck and there is no room or time for ext(p)ensive classroom training. The sheer number of bad projects out there sometimes takes my breath away and makes me wonder if this makes any sense at all...

Exactly my feelings. Though I don't think there is a shortage of trainers, just a shortage of people willing to invest in those trainers :wink: . Partners would not only have happier customers, but they would be more profitable if they had better trained people.
    David Singleton
  • Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 207
    There maybe a light at the end of the rainbow (well for the UK) anyway...

http://www.firebrandtraining.co.uk/cour ... t/dynamics

Good luck and thanks
    Big D signing off!
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    For me, I actually prefer reading PDFs instead of going to classrooms. I'm not a fan to sit through a week's worth of training when I can read through the PDFs in a few hours. I realize that this only works if I'm familiar with the base product.

If I was to get trained in Dynamics AX or a product that's completely foreign to me, I would prefer a classroom environment where someone held my hand.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I self-trained on NAV using PDFs, Mibuso, and Directions.
    I did have previous ERP package knowledge - self-trained also.

Now we have a wealth of online materials and google to find them - in addition to the above.

Life is good unless you need class!
    :mrgreen: