Segment : create word document based on a segment

SeeryxSeeryx Member Posts: 23
Hello, :D

This is my first topic and it is a very simple one.

I can create a segment, send an email with attachement etc. It works perfectly. Very easy.
In place of sending an email or print a hard copy, I simply want to generate a word document (and save it somewhere on my disk) for each line of my segment. Is it possible ?

Comments

• TvisTvis Member Posts: 70
    That is not possible in the standard - you will have to do some development to get that functionality.
  • SeeryxSeeryx Member Posts: 23
    Ok that's clear.

So, my goal is to create of word document based on the segment that is based on the contact table:

- get back the Segment lines (NO PROBLEM) and SELECT only the fields needed.
    - count the line
    - for each lines :
      - get back NAME, ... of the line - merge those information with my word template

What do you advise ? Use automation, hard coding ?

• aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    First off, Welcome to Mibuso.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking to capture the information of the people that make up your segment. Do you want one document that contains all the segment lines, or one word document per segment line?
    Thanks for your welcome message !

One word document per segment line. :D
    There is no native way to do that, and I'm having a difficult time determining why you would want that. Perhaps if you could explain the end result you are looking for, there might be an alternative way of getting you what you are looking for.
    Off course, no problem. :)

The goal is to send a word or PDF document to a list of contacts based on the contact we selected in a segment.
    This document (WORD or PDF) must use a template defined by ourself in word.

So I search to do this with segment functionality but is does not seem to exist. :(
    Is the template you are creating in word different for each contact, or is a generalized template?

You can create your word template, and then attach it to the segment. Then, if you wish, you can customize it for each contact (The Attachment field on the segment line will now display unique instead of inherited) When you log the segment, you have the option to send the e-mail that will include the attachment. I've found that if the attachment has a mail merge field in it, it will appear in the body of the e-mail rather than an attachment, which IMO is the perferred method.

hope this helps.
    It is the same template for each contact.

I undertsand very well what you explained but I don't need to send any email. Simply create the word/PDF document.
    The only options are email, fax or hard copy.
    I guess I misunderstood your comment below. You say the goal is to send a word or PDF document...
    Seeryx wrote:
    Off course, no problem. :)

The goal is to send a word or PDF document to a list of contacts based on the contact we selected in a segment.
    This document (WORD or PDF) must use a template defined by ourself in word.

So I search to do this with segment functionality but is does not seem to exist. :(
    Sorry about that, my fault.
    By send a Word/PDF document, I mean by courrier, paper letter. So we need to store those letters.
    ahh, snail mail.

I believe you would need to use Hard Copy as the type, but I've never used that one before.
    If I use Hard copy, it will print all my letters directly. What I want is to keep those letters in a folder and print or send it later.
    send them to a PDF printer and save them
    How would you do that ? Is it possible to send the attachements directly to a pdf printer like cute PDF or PDF creator in Navision ?
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    depending on the automation options of your pdf printer this can be a partially to a fully automatic solution.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|