noob xp_ndo client connection failure

DaveyboyDaveyboy Member Posts: 5
Hi all

I am very new at NAV and excuse my noobishness as I have "inherited" this system with no working knowledge of it. I have an existing SQL 2008 DB with clients on the network connecting directly to the SQL DB using Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Classic with Microsoft SQL server (NAV 2009 SP1 v 6.00.29626), this works fine. However I need to upgrade the server with various items and wanted to create a "failover / backup" to test these changes before I do it in live.

My attempts to create a test system have been futile and halted me at the xp_ndo_enumuserid connundrum ( The extended stored procedure xp_ndo_enumuserids in the library file xp_ndo.dll is not available on the database server... ).

I have so far created:

- SQL server - Same O\S (32 bit) and Service packs, Same SQL and service packs
- Restored a database on the test system ( a backed up copy from live taken from SQL itself *.bak ) from within sql management studio
- Created the xp_ndo_enumuserids and groups within the master db extended stored procedures
- placed the xp_ndo.dll (copied from 32bit install) into the default sql\binn directory.

I am gonna get slapped for this ( as i know there are similar topics but no specific answers for myself ) but is there a method for building / restoring this kind of tiered system, are there other DB's / procedures I need to be aware of?

I don’t have any documentation just geniuses like you to rely on ;), so any help / pointers would be duly appreciated thanks.

Dave

Answers

• DaveyboyDaveyboy Member Posts: 5
    Apologies, I think this should have been put in general ?
  • TvisTvis Member Posts: 70
    Hi there,

take a look at Lohndorfs articles here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav_developer/archive/2008/11/05/basic-sql-overview-of-nav-specific-sql-features-for-application-consultants.aspx

They are pretty good as a 101 class if you are new to the SQL/NAV combo.
    hi Tvis

Apologies should have mentioned that was the article i followed to attempt to rebuild an sql server / client, very good article and followed all the way through, although yes I am new to SQL/NAV so may be missing something here.

Should have also mentioned that:
    - New build SQL 2008 server ( on domain )
    - SQL server tested running under local admin account and domain account
    - Nav client attempted connections to test Nav DB on network and server

I don't have a three tier in live, I believe this is just two tier straight connection directly to the database server ( current live clients point to live SQL server ).

Would I need to restore anyother DB's on system such as model or msdb? I attempted to restore the master db but i just crashed and burned on that one so reverted to the extended stored procedure only on the new test SQL server, thanks.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    Did you check the typing?
    xp_ndo_enumusersids
    xp_ndo_enumusergroups

Some years ago I had the same issue where the customer had created the ESP but did not name it
    xp_ndo_enumusersids
    but instead
    xp_ndo_enumuserids
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
    :whistle:

Please slap me for my stupidity ! Thanks FDickschat, the obvious needing pointing out to me there, yes it was the xp_ndo_enumuserSids. :oops:

A note to future new users READ whats required, dont steam ahead like i did !

Thanks all
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    FDickschat wrote:
    Did you check the typing?
    xp_ndo_enumusersids
    xp_ndo_enumusergroups

Some years ago I had the same issue where the customer had created the ESP but did not name it
    xp_ndo_enumusersids
    but instead
    xp_ndo_enumuserids

Been there done that. Haven't we all. :oops:
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Been there done that. Haven't we all. :oops:
    yep :oops: :whistle: