Navision Mail Merge with Ms Word

nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
Here's the development exam qs i am not to sure:

integrating microsoft word with microsoft navision (running on microsoft navision server). the customer want to create mail merge weekly sending out welcome letters to their new client. customer want a solution to be easily added additional field to letter without having to require additional customizations in microsoft navision consultant. what options to choose to fit customer needs?

a.automation from microsoft navision to microsoft word

b.mail merge using c/odbc

c.automation from microsoft word to microsoft navision

d.mail merge using odbc

Answers

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    hint: odbc is sql and the question mentions native so "d" is out
  • nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
    hi savatage,

tks for replying.. based on your hint, the technologies can only be based on odbc (B/D), however because its native, it ought to be B? :-k
  • vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,139
    What kind of question is this? There is no Navision anymore! It's called Microsoft Dynamics NAV at the time beeing.
    Savatage wrote:
    hint: odbc is sql and the question mentions native so "d" is out
    Really? where does it mention native? I think, "Navision Server" is middle tier server, so almost certainly running on SQL.

With option a it is not very easy to build a system with which it is easy to add additional fields.
    Option b only works on native.
    For option c there is no documented interface.
    Option d works for SQL without any customization of a consultant.

ODBC solutions tend to overburden the average office user, but otherwise fit the task given in the question well.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    vaprog wrote:
    Really? where does it mention native? I think, "Navision Server" is middle tier server, so almost certainly running on SQL.

That's your interpretation. When I read it & I also saw "c/odbc" mentioned I thought Native right away.

It's been called n/odbc for years now, so since I saw c/odbc (which is older) - I presumed it was an old question way before tiers were used.

And thru deduction of the above I came up with (running on microsoft navision server) as being Native.
    It could have easily been writen (running on microsoft sql server) but it wasn't.