Native database Service stops unexpectedly

vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
Hi all,

in a Native Nav 5.01 I experience unexpected service stop and restarts that I cannot explain.

In the event viewer I see this :

Event ID 7031
The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Database Server SRV-NAV service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
Months ago I experienced similar problem, but then there was no restart. The only remarks my collegue Steven Renders (yep, the one of the amazing book : professional reporting in nav 2009) then found on the internet was : probably network related problems. We invested in new cabling and switches afterwards, so that can't be it anymore.

I hope this topic can lead to a trace.

regards,

Flip!

Comments

• ProcatProcat Member Posts: 31
    What build no are you running?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    vanrofi wrote:
    Months ago I experienced similar problem, but then there was no restart. The only remarks my collegue Steven Renders (yep, the one of the amazing book : professional reporting in nav 2009) then found on the internet was : probably network related problems. We invested in new cabling and switches afterwards, so that can't be it anymore.

Yes network is a common cause for this. if you had the problem before, and are 100% certain that you fixed it, then there is a good chance you didn't. You maybe living under the miss conception that a network error is related to cabling and switches, but in my experience when the Native server stops for network reasons, its nothing to do with either. So my first place to look would be that which you are ignoring.
    David Singleton
  • vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    build 26084.

One is never sure about an inherited network. Parts of the network that passed the quality check was not renewed...
    Next step : How to check the quality of the quality check...without hurting management feelings regarding 20000$ investment in cables and led boxes [-X

Thx for your opinion
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    vanrofi wrote:
    Next step : How to check the quality of the quality check...without hurting management feelings regarding 20000$ investment in cables and led boxes [-X

Its most likely that they replaced the good stuff and forgot the bit that actually had the problem.

I had one client that had a recurring issue like this and kept blaming Navision and I was certain it was a network issue. In the end they got in a network expert who put monitoring devices and tracked down to the exact device causing the crashing. The device was a $20 printer adapter. They changed that and never had a problem again. But their networking company did what any networking company is supposed to do, i.e. sell more hardware. The interesting part was that the printer wasn't even used by Navision ever. You have to be persistent and find the issue, not just keep replacing stuff till it goes away.

The moral is that its hard to convince a hardware company to find the issue when the option is making a $20k sale.
    David Singleton