Options

Making Factboxes editable?

LilithyanLilithyan Member Posts: 32
edited 2011-11-23 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,

has there been anyone who managed to make a factbox editable?

The idea cropt up, when a customer asked for a specific type of search.

They have a custom made Bill of Material (BOM) for their items. For the items, there exists the standard table Item Category (ID 5722). Also custom made is the functionality to add attributes to an item category (2 tables, one for the atributes, one specifiying what kind of attributes a category has). When the a category is selected for an item and saved in another custom made table, the customer can now specify a value for each attribute specifically for that item.

Now what they want for the BOM sounds quite simple, but can be a bit frustrating when trying to come up with a solution for the RTC.
When they create or add to a BOM, they don't want to have to specify what item should be in the BOM Line. Rather, they want to specify first, what category with what attributes and their attributes-values are needed for the item and then have a search startet for an Item with those values.
Not that bad of a wish, if it weren't for the fact that they want an easy and quick way to first specify attribute-values for a whole bunch of BOM lines and then tell Navision to search for all lines in one go.

One of my thoughts was incorportating a factbox for this in the BOM page (BOM Header and BOM lines as listpart-page) with reference to the BOM lines, showing the item category with its attributes and values and making it editable so the guys have their wish of quick and easy filling everything in before looking for a whole bunch of items.

Can a factbox be made editable? I have only tried via page- and part-properties, but those are seemingly ignored when the part defined in a factboxarea.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Ciao,

Lilithyan

Comments

• Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    I can't say I've tried this specifically, but we did create a page with an add-in (calendar control) in a factbox. The user can click on that control to change dates and it works fine. We're not technically editing data within NAV, but the control itself is at least editable/working.

My guess is that what you want to do isn't possible, but I may be wrong. The RTC definitely has limitations dictated by how Microsoft intends for the various page parts to be used. From what you're describing, I'd just add fields to the Production BOM Header for the user to enter selections for item category, etc., then pass those down to the subform to be applied as filters when looking up items.