Is it advisable to automate Lot tracking in Item tracking?

chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
Hi all,

My client is asking me to automatically assigning Lot Nos FIFO basis without going to Item tracking lines for manually applying.Is it advisable to do Customization for autopopulating the Lot No in Item tracking Lines without user intervention in FIFO basis.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
chandru.

Comments

• AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    NO! :-#
    There is standard feature that can afford your need: Expiration Date & Pick by FEFO

Although your items may not expired, just use it for fake, assume that your item will be expired, and those expired one should go-out first, right?

Keys:
    Expiration Date in Item Tracking
    Check Pick by FEFO in Location Card.
    Use Pick granule, either Inventory Pick, or Whse. Pick.
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Mike_HWGMike_HWG Member Posts: 104
    Agreed with Andwain, except for two notes:

1. Be careful with expirations. Depending on configuration and addons, you may create a situation where lots are expiring before they can be shipped, which can cause availability issues and lot blocking. In this case, the system may need you to regularly adjust expirations, causing more work for your user. Additionally, this may skew availability, forecasting, requisitions,... Do thorough testing and analysis before implementing this.
    2. Andwain describes a solution for you in regard to picking, and I assume that is what you are talking about. If you are talking about purchasing, etc., then the client really needs to consider the implications. If the process is automated, how do you handle multiple lots per purchase line? How do you handle accountability of the warehouse staff (do they know what they received? did they count?). Note that I have never heard a right answer!

Don't be afraid to say no. Do your homework and realize that sometimes, the customer's job might involve some actual work! :D
    Michael Hollinger
    Systems Analyst
    NAV 2009 R2 (6.00.34463)
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    Mike_HWG wrote:
    1. Be careful with expirations. Depending on configuration and addons, you may create a situation where lots are expiring before they can be shipped, which can cause availability issues and lot blocking. In this case, the system may need you to regularly adjust expirations, causing more work for your user. Additionally, this may skew availability, forecasting, requisitions,... Do thorough testing and analysis before implementing this.
    Don't activate the Strict Expiration Posting. This is not the really EXPIRED Item, just use it for the sake of FEFO :mrgreen:
    Mike_HWG wrote:
    2. Andwain describes a solution for you in regard to picking, and I assume that is what you are talking about. If you are talking about purchasing, etc., then the client really needs to consider the implications. If the process is automated, how do you handle multiple lots per purchase line? How do you handle accountability of the warehouse staff (do they know what they received? did they count?). Note that I have never heard a right answer!
    Agreed with Mike, I should warning the customer, if this FEFO policy is worth.
    Regards,
    Andwian