SQL Database and Database Used in NAV

SbhatSbhat Member Posts: 301
One of our client are on NAV 2009 R2 Classic using SQL 2008 R2 and their database size is around 49GB, when you go to NAV and go to File--->Database-->Information, in the Database used it shows as 97%. Is this something they should be concenred about since the Database used is showing 97%. Also is there any way the can reduced the size of Database used.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks
S.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Sounds like you're against expanding it?

Don't let it get to %100!
    Read this, perhaps it helps:
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7554
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    In general there's nothing to worry about. This only means that the working space the db has is used in that percentage. But that also means that if the db takes a lot of transactions it expands constantly (depending on the setup) and this can have an impact on performance. If you have other concerns you should consider to let an expert take a look at it.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    You have especially performance to worry about.

The autoexpand feature should NEVER be relied on. You should do it manually. Generally if I see that a DB is over 80%, I grow the DB so it becomes max 70GB. For new DB's, I generally create a DB-file that is big enough to not grow for 2 years. And a TL-size that is big enough to receive an indexrebuild without growing.
    Most of the time it is 10%. If your DB or TL is 100 MB, it will increment with 10MB. If your DB is 100GB, it is 10GB!
    With 10MB growths, you can create a lot of fragmentation. With 10GB growths, it can be slow if you don't have Instant file initialization.
    And even if you have it, it doesn't work for transactionlog files. And with transaction log files, there is ALSO internal fragmentation.

And I can say that a DB and TL with 200.000 fragments (yes, a 2 with 5 zeroes!) is VERY SLOW! I had a client like that once and I went there to fix performance problems and after defragging the files and doing the internal TL defragmentation, I could go home because the performance problems were fixed.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!