Navision Network Speed

mkuszamkusza Member Posts: 40
We recently upgraded our network to Gigabit Ethernet and we noticed that when we ran the Inventory Evaluation report for parts the maximum byte/s was only 1800000. It also takes about 5 minutes to run. Our database is the native and only 4GB in size. We have it across 2 raid 1 configurations 2GB on each. Is the lack of data transfer due to our configuration? We are running Nav 5.0 SP1.

Thanks

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    You didn't provide any server specs.
    are your drives 15k scsi?

Look at your "Database Information"
    Is Commit Cache = Yes
    What's your DBMS Cache set to?

When you run the report directly on the server does it take the same amount of time?

Inventory Valuation report can take some time.
  • mkuszamkusza Member Posts: 40
    Drives are 10k SCSI

Commit is checked

DBMS Cache 8000

Database Used 2049576

Database Size 4000000

Object Cache 32000

When ran on server it takes about a minute vs 5-7 minutes over network
    First off your DBMS cache should be as close to 1GB as you can get it.
    I've beed able to reach 800,000 as compared to your 8,000.

Read full post here about how to change the setting (links & vids provided).
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43709

2nd - obviously 15ks are faster than 10ks
    3rd - the user machines also have to be fast. (ex. if you are posting on the slowest machine on the network, you are going to kill the performance/lock tables to all the other users).

So network speed has a lot of variables, but I would start by bumping up your DBMS cache:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNczFWMwNZg
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    My experience with performance tuning generally shows that when someone has a performance issue and they are certain on what the bottle neck is and focus on that to the exclusion of everything else, they never end out solving the problem.

if you are 100% certain that the network speed is your issue, then I would say there is close to a 100% chance that you are wrong. :wink:
    David Singleton
    I updated the DBMS CACHE as suggested by Savatage and there was little change in the speed from server side or client side. I will list server and client specs to see if perhaps I am personally missing something with the hardware.

Dell 2848 Gigabit Switch

Server:
    Single Processor / Dual Core Xeon 2.8 GHz
    4 GB Ram
    4 10k SCSI Drives (2 raid 1 Configs)
    10/100/1000 (Shows Connection at 1.0Gbps)

Clients:
    Intel I5 CPU
    4 GB Ram
    6Gb/s SATA 7200
    10/100/1000 (Shows Connection at 1.0Gbps)

When we watch the traffic speed from server side it shows between 1800000 and 2000000 bytes/s which is only about .013 Gigabits/s...When we transfer a regular 2GB file from the server to client it shows a speed of .7 to .8 Gigabits/s which is about right. As far as we know the SCSI drives should be reading a whole lot faster than 1MB/s...
    What did you get your cache upto? I'm always interested to see how high everyone can make it.

I had one server upto 850,000. My new one I can only get to 795,000.
    We use Netgear PROSAFE™ 48-PORT GIGABIT SMART SWITCH
    http://www.netgear.com/business/product ... s748t.aspx

Our server has 3 gigabit Nics all plugged into the switch, teaming.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/arch ... 08-r2.aspx

Our database is split into 5 pieces - 5 "raid 1" drives 15k

to cover all bases, We upgraded our wiring to Cat6:
    http://www.tested.com/news/cat5-vs-cat5 ... twork/676/

Also, I wish my inventory valuation took 5 minutes. I usually run it at night, it will be ready by morning.
    But our database used is: 46,668,656
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Savatage wrote:
    What did you get your cache upto? I'm always interested to see how high everyone can make it.
    Off-topic: most of the native servers I installed in the last few years, I could get easily to 850MB and 1 to 950MB. I even have seen one that was at 1GB! Don't know how they did it. But I think it is important that the memory is not fragmented. So enough memory, cold reboot and no other things running on the server.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

kriki wrote:
    Savatage wrote:
    Off-topic: most of the native servers I installed in the last few years, I could get easily to 850MB and 1 to 950MB. I even have seen one that was at 1GB! Don't know how they did it. But I think it is important that the memory is not fragmented. So enough memory, cold reboot and no other things running on the server.

Definitely you can get 1 Gig. generally you would need to start from the command line logged in as administrator and not as a service, and then once it is running then "installasservice" form the command line. The problem is that it is not stable, and sometimes if the server reboots the Navision server wont restart.
    David Singleton
    I set it to 750k and it worked so we did not take it up any higher.

Is the inventory valuation report only slow with native DB or with SQL as well? We did some more tests and it seems this is the only report that is not outputting at the theoretical bandwidth limit. Poor programming on Microsoft side?
    If you search the forum for "Inventory Valuation" probably half are about it's speed.
    search.php

As I stated above, for Native database with some size, you might as well run it and come back in the morning. I'm actually jealous of 5 mins but after a few years of data that will increase.

So we've created our own inventory reports in Crystal and rarely ever use that standard report.
    Mainly because we need it once a month and since we save the output to PDF we never need to use the "as of date" feature the Valuation report offers. Which then makes the report very complicated with many calculations, which you have noticed can take some time.

Check out this blog..as you can see it's an issue for sql users too.
    http://mibuso.com/blogs/ara3n/2009/07/0 ... amics-nav/
    kriki wrote:
    Savatage wrote:

Definitely you can get 1 Gig. generally you would need to start from the command line logged in as administrator and not as a service, and then once it is running then "installasservice" form the command line. The problem is that it is not stable, and sometimes if the server reboots the Navision server wont restart.
    That was what I told them but they told me they didn't have problems with it.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:

Don;t you mean
    That was what I told them but they told me they didn't have problems with it YET.

:mrgreen:
    David Singleton
    kriki wrote:

Don;t you mean
    That was what I told them but they told me they didn't have problems with it YET.

:mrgreen:
    No. They are on SQL Server now :lol:
    They were close to a 64 GB DB!
    Regards,Alain Krikilion