Options

Can I install Navision Server on a Domain Controller?

kirkostaskirkostas Member Posts: 127
edited 2011-11-18 in NAV Three Tier
I have a customer who wants to run everything from a windows 2003 server which is the domain controller of his company. In details, he wants to install SQL Server 2008 R2 and the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 Server on the same machine and the clients will be on different machines. I know that Microsoft does not recommend the installation of the SQL Server on a domain controller machine and I believe that the same rule applies for the Navision too. See article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646015.aspx and search for "FacetDomainControllerCheck" to find what Microsoft says.

What is your opinion?
Can we have it all together?
kirkostas

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    First find out why? With options for virtualization and the current low cost of hardware, is there really any reason to want to do this? Maybe to save the cost of one windows license?

Seems like people get stuck in a rut and don't want to get out of it.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    kirkostaskirkostas Member Posts: 127
    I have thought about that, but the customer want to know why I insist not to install SQL Server and Navision Server on the Domain Controller. I am trying to find an official document that says the reason but I can't, except the article I have posted above. Also I have tried to install Navision Server on a Domain Controller but the installation finished with many errors and the services are not able to start. Is there any official documentation that describes why not install SQL Server or Navision Server to the Domain Controller?
    kirkostas