Options

Eliminating need for URL for Web Services

JoshwithfireJoshwithfire Member Posts: 4
edited 2011-11-15 in NAV Three Tier
Hello folks,

I am looking for a way to eliminate the need for the entire /DynamicsNAV/WS/Services portion of the URL to access our Navision server.

The application that is going to be connecting to it is managed by a 3rd party company and is not using a Navision client to connect to it, so I can't just change the configuration on their client. According to our software company every other company they set this up for doesn't have this problem.

So basically I need to know how to make it so the url: https://epws.mycompany.com/ does the same thing as typing https://epws.mycompany.com/DynamicsNAV/WS/Services

Is there a way to make Microsoft Dynamics Web Services automatically handle the request this way?

(We just went live with 2009 3 teir this weekend, upgrading from 5) so my prior MDWS administration experience is minimal. I read through the MSDN articles but I am unsure if there is no info if there is a way to do this, or if I am missing something.

I was hoping there was just a way to do this in the customsettings.config file.

Any information/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Josh

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Just do the redirection on the web site. Why would you want to change it in Navision. Just keep it simple.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    JoshwithfireJoshwithfire Member Posts: 4
    I'm assuming by the web site (correct me if I'm wrong) you're talking about the 3rd party application that is connecting to this URL.

Unfortunately I've had that argument with the software development company and that with all my research and understanding that normally that information is input client side anyways, and that it sounds like they need this plugged in on their end regardless. They argue that this is how it is set up for all their other customers, and that having the entire string on their is too long for them.

I've beat my head against them and the wall trying to convince them they are the ones with the problem here, and haven't gotten anywhere, so I figured I would throw this out to the community to see if maybe I'm wrong and there is a normal way to make it automatically assume connections coming in are as stated prior.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Well no. I agree that it's their issue and they should resolve it. But if they wont then look at how that URL is developed. You must have a web server somewhere with a directory <root>/mycompany.com/epws that you then route to epws.mycompany.com so what ever you use to route that, just change it to map epws.mycompany.com to <root>/mycompany.com/epws/DynamicsNAV/WS/Services

Its probably only a couple of lines of php script, or maybe your hosting can handle it as is.
    David Singleton