Options

Problem with collation and codepages

KisuKisu Member Posts: 381
edited 2011-11-15 in SQL General
Hi,
we are building a database for customer. the customer has company in Finland and China, so we'd need to have both chinese and finnish chars working in the database.

We have added the chinese+finnish+english to server's text services and input languages options and we are able to type chinese and finnish letters to Wordpad but not in SQL server's tables. The chinese letters turn in to ??? question marks or so thus not probably saving in to the table.

We tried 2 collations for test but no luck, could anyone help with this issue a little?

What things we need to change for SQL to accept chinese and finnish letters?
finnish letters are english letters + åÖÄåäö
K.S.

Comments

• Options
    The attachment I added, first line I'm editing line and its not saved yet. Second line after edit and save, gives ????..
    K.S.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Don''t think I have all the knowledge with this but it will be interesting to see how this will be solved..

What happens when you type something in a NAV Form or Page?

What do you mean by using Wordpad? that's related to your regional settings, isn't it.? and not to NAV.
  • Options
    Don''t think I have all the knowledge with this but it will be interesting to see how this will be solved..

What happens when you type something in a NAV Form or Page?

What do you mean by using Wordpad? that's related to your regional settings, isn't it.? and not to NAV.

Same thing on navision classic SQL or RTC client, you can type as chinese but after its written it shows up as question marks.

No integration whatsoever with the wordpad
    wordpad as in windows wordpad, it was just for testing that I can write chinese on the server somewhere. (thus making it sql server issue I think?)
    K.S.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    What happens when you add a record within the SQL Manager Studio.

That will tell you if it's SQL or not.
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Don't you need unicode to support extended character sets like Chinese?
    Navision does not currently support unicode, though I have heard it will in NAV 7 (don't know if that is rumor or fact).
  • Options
    What happens when you add a record within the SQL Manager Studio.

That will tell you if it's SQL or not.

It is sql database, the database is on sql server 2008 r2.
    K.S.
  • Options
    davmac1 wrote:
    Don't you need unicode to support extended character sets like Chinese?
    Navision does not currently support unicode, though I have heard it will in NAV 7 (don't know if that is rumor or fact).

I've seen Navision 5.x with finnish+english+chinese setup working, but I'm not sure how to do it my self. There is a way that I'm sure
    K.S.