Options

4.0 Navigation "Pane" or Navigation "Pain&quo

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
How many of you find the new navigation panes confusing for users? Navision has made a guess as to how departments are organized, but with smaller sites (6 - 10 users) I find that the organization of the new menus is very confusing. For example, GL setups are in Financial Management\Setup, where P&P setups are in Financial Management\Payables\Setup. Plus, all the setups are not there - sometimes you have to go to the Administration menu.

My suggestion is to have one Navigation Pane organized the same way that the 3.x menus were set up - 1 Top-level folder for each functional area, then sub-folders for "Forms", "Reports", "Documents", "History", "Periodic Activities" and "Setup". That way, we can easily customize this menu by removing undesired options, rather than having to create a whole new menu from scratch.

Also, what about the real nice feature in 3.6+ that disabled menu options that were not in the customer license? This apparently is gone in 4.x.

Also, an NSC in the US already developed a customization to put the old 3.70-style menus back into 4.0 - they obviously felt a demand for the original-style menus.

If you agree, please go to PartnerSource and enter something in "Product Suggestions". Also, if you are talking to support, mention this issue, or, in the US, send an email to Todd Bergeson (tbergeson@microsoft.com) The only way that we will effect change is by communicating in numbers.

Ron
Ron

Comments

• Options
    Trevor_NorcrossTrevor_Norcross Member Posts: 29
    It is also possible to customize the menus however you want... make good use of the Shortcuts menu... and you can add additional menus as well in the nav pane designer. This could allow you to make the menus even more intuitive for your clients. We definitely have clients that are missing the old menu system though... once they are used to that, it's an ordeal to switch over!
    Trevor Norcross
    SharePoint Implementation and Development
    Network Administration
    Mirifex Systems
  • Options
    rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    Yes - the good news is that Nav Panes can be customized easily and shortcuts created by the users. My point is that with all the customization we normally do for a Navision installation, we shouldn't have to spend time making the menus more friendly.

I've already decided to create some custom panes that mirror the 3.x style of organization - one folder for each functional area, then ALL forms/documents/reports/periodic processing/setups that relate to that functional area. Once I have that set up as a template, then THAT menu is easy to customize - just delete the items you don't want.

Ron
    Ron