How can an end-user company modify Add-On objects?

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
We have Application Designer but not Solution Developer - that's expensive.

If we buy an Add-On, normally you cannot modify its objects, not even partners can, add-on reseller partners get special licences for customizing the Add-On. Can customers get that too? If yes how? Does it require Solution Developer or Application Designer is enough? Does it have any extra cost?

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    If we buy an Add-On, normally you cannot modify its objects, not even partners can
    Not true.

It totally depends on how the add-on is structured. If the objects are in the 37000000 object range only the partner who built the solution can modify it. Not the selling partner or anyone else, just the company that built the solution.

If it is in the 14000000 range then I believe as long as you have access to the objects through the normal granule your developer granules (Application Designer and Solution Developer) will dictate what you can and cannot access and modify.

If it is between 50000 and 99999, as in not a registered add-on, you just have to have access to those Object IDs and appropriate development permissions. I guess this isn't really different than the 14000000 objects.

I've never heard of a special granule that allows you to customize add-ons, but I guess it's possible one exists for the 37000000 range. Perhaps those companies can grant other companies access to the code, but I highly doubt they would give it to an end user.

Solution Developer is expensive as you said, and there are other costs to go along with that, like real training of a NAV developer (both time and money), the setup of proper development and QA environments, etc.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    We have a client that purchased the application designer's license and they're able to modify add-on objects in the 3xxxxxxxxx series.

I'm not entirely sure how that works though...
  • JosephGressJosephGress Member Posts: 36
    I have seen the same thing that Alex described where one client (who has application designer or solution developer license) is able to modify objects from one addon in the 3xxxxxxxxx series that they have the license to use. At the same time, these objects are protected from being modified using our reseller license. I assume (but I don't know this for certain) that the addon solution center can choose to allow clients with solution developer or application designer license to be able to modify their objects in the 3xxxxxxxxx series.
    Joseph Gress
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    The way I think it works is that once you have access to a certain level of a designer (for instance form designer) you have access to all of the forms in your license. If you have access to the C/AL code in one object then you should have access to the C/AL code in all objects of that type, including everything in any granule inside your license.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    DenSter wrote:
    The way I think it works is that once you have access to a certain level of a designer (for instance form designer) you have access to all of the forms in your license. If you have access to the C/AL code in one object then you should have access to the C/AL code in all objects of that type, including everything in any granule inside your license.

Last time I worked at an NSC some add-ons were not modifiable even by our NSC licence. I think the number range began with 1 but I am not sure anymore...
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    If it is in the 14000000 range then I believe as long as you have access to the objects through the normal granule your developer granules (Application Designer and Solution Developer) will dictate what you can and cannot access and modify.

Thanks, I'll ask about it. BTW we are looking into webshops, ExpandIT, Nav 2 Net etc., if anyone knows other solutions and it is fairly sure they are modifiable with an Application Designer granule please PM me. (I mean a webshop is mostly external but surely has objects also inside Navision, it would be rather unusual to write directly into the Sales Header etc. tables I think...) Mostly it should be not retail but more like B2B webshop, so no payment processing and suchlike necessary but f.e. credit limit checks yes.
    Solution Developer is expensive as you said, and there are other costs to go along with that, like real training of a NAV developer (both time and money), the setup of proper development and QA environments, etc.

I'm trained well enough, thanks :) Generally IMHO Solution Developer contains tools like the Mergetool or Developer's Toolkit that only necessary for building larger add-ons but for smaller in-house customizations not really.