Can I migrate users (and password) from my Native DB to SQL?

EmerikEmerik Member Posts: 50
Hi,
I am in the middle of migrating a native NAV database from a NAV database server to a SQL Server. The databases contained a lot of database users, which must be migrated to SQL as well. The users can easily be created with a SQL script, but not the passwords, which are encrypted.

So my question is: Is there a way to migrate the users and their passwords from the native NAV database server to the SQL Server? And how, please ;-) ?

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Emerik wrote:
    Hi,
    I am in the middle of migrating a native NAV database from a NAV database server to a SQL Server. The databases contained a lot of database users, which must be migrated to SQL as well. The users can easily be created with a SQL script, but not the passwords, which are encrypted.

So my question is: Is there a way to migrate the users and their passwords from the native NAV database server to the SQL Server? And how, please ;-) ?

Without some extraordinary hacking you can't migrate passwords. It can be done, but would take way longer than reentering them.

On the other hand you really should consider AD and Windows Logins.
    David Singleton
  • EmerikEmerik Member Posts: 50
    Hi David,
    Thanks for the quick response, even though, apparently there are no easy ways to do this.

I also suggested to switch to Windows logins, but I am solving this task for a customer, that does not wish to switch away from the database logons.

BR Emerik
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The issue is cracking the Navision password, which is illegal btw since it breaches the contract you signed with Microsoft, but ignoring that for the moment, you would need to create a new field in the User table with an unencrypted password, then write a brute force program that will crack the password, put that in the new field and then use that to generate passwords in SQL.

The security issues are just the tip of the iceberg here. Just how long will it take to crack a 20 character password?
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    According to this it would take a supercomputer 83.5 days to crack an 8 character password using upper/lower/numbers/symbols. A 20 character with just letters would take over 600 billion years, or 120 times longer than the earth has been around :D

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=combi

I don't know if any of that is really true, but it's not worth it :D Just have the users set themselves new passwords in the new database.
  • EmerikEmerik Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    I have no intention of cracking the passwords. I just wanted to find the smoothest way to migrate users (and their passwords), preferably without having to involve them in work by asking them to change their passwords or something like that.

Apparently, that is not really feasable, so that's just too bad, but no disaster.

BR Emerik