Form load & "Modifying records in ..." unrelated tables mess

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Hi.

I've had this happen in a couple of very complicated forms that gather a lot of data when opened.

I/the user gets dozens of pop-up messages saying "Modifying records in the XXX table" where XXX are tables not remotelty involved in the current process. Most of them are names of tables that are not even used in the implementation.

Does anyone know if these messages are totally bogus, avoidable, slowing down the 'real' work the form is doing, etc?

Thanks!

(60R2 on SQL)

Answers

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    A general question calls for a general answer:
    bhalpin wrote:
    I've had this happen in a couple of very complicated forms that gather a lot of data when opened.
    First rule of developing forms is Keep It Simple! Forms should (not must) be bound to one table and display that data only. Related data should be displayed in separate pop up forms. Avoid at any cost (and I mean it) too complicated forms with too many fields or even more than one subform. Avoid gathering non related data via wild coding with "refreshing" on the OnAfterGetRecord trigger, etc...
    bhalpin wrote:
    I/the user gets dozens of pop-up messages saying "Modifying records in the XXX table" where XXX are tables not remotelty involved in the current process.
    That's a weird dialog. If modifying records takes so long that it has time to show a dialog then you really have a problem...
    bhalpin wrote:
    Most of them are names of tables that are not even used in the implementation.
    What do you mean by that?
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    First rule of developing forms is Keep It Simple!
    The form is complicated because that was the requirement - it wasn't a choice.
    That's a weird dialog. If modifying records takes so long that it has time to show a dialog then you really have a problem...
    The form is *not* (repeat: not) modifying ANY records in the DB. It is collecting data and building temporary records that are displayed in the form.
    What do you mean by that? (Most of them are names of tables that are not even used in the implementation.)
    It means that the table names that come up are tables that have nothing to do with the form, and most are tables that have no data in them.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    rhpnt wrote:
    Quote:
    What do you mean by that? (Most of them are names of tables that are not even used in the implementation.)

It means that the table names that come up are tables that have nothing to do with the form, and most are tables that have no data in them.
    It would think this is the standard rename dialog. So your code seems to rename something somewhere.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    bhalpin wrote:
    The form is complicated because that was the requirement - it wasn't a choice.
    We could argue about that but then the thread would go on forever...

Forgive me to answer with questions but...
    - Did you take a look at the code?
    - Did you use the debugger?

...to find out what the form is really doing and where these dialogs come from?
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Solved.

At one point in my code I was doing a RENAME on one of the temporary records. With that removed the form loads in 1/10th the time.