Options

HOW TO CONTROL COCA COLA (CAN) AND CASE

SINOEUNSTEVENNEANGSINOEUNSTEVENNEANG Member Posts: 202
edited 2011-10-25 in NAV Three Tier
Could you give me some advise on how to control COCA COLA(CAN) AND COCA COLA(CASE).
I mean that if my SKU for COCA is can then my quantity is alot.but if my SKU is case then i can not make sale order for 1 can.
any solution with this ?

Comments

• Options
    chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    what is the CAN Qty and CASE Qty of Cola ?
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    item card: define CAN as the base unit of measure
    the go to unit of measures through the action button in the page

define CASE with qty. per unit of measure = 30 (or whatever)

now, if you sell 1 CASE, you're basically selling 30 cans. take also a look at the sales unit of measure and purch unit of measure for a refined setup. (F1 help is your friend ;) )
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    Works with Pepsi too! :wink:
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    rhpnt wrote:
    Works with Pepsi too! :wink:
    muahahahaha! THIS is fair market! :thumbsup:
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    The NAV Team Blog recently had this article about it:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... world.aspx
    However; I could hardly disagree more...

Base unit of measure of an item should be in the "natural" unit for the company - it is just NAV (and probably most other ERP systems) that are unable to support that.

I have a customer producing small beans. Their natural unit for blue beans is boxes, because they can relate to having 2 or 200 boxes of red beans on stock. The weight of 1000 beans is less than 100 gram, and one box contains more than 20 kilograms. Well, you do the math, if they should do it in pieces :-)

We have therefore made a customization to the Item Unit of Messure form, so you can enter either the normal field, or the reciprocal field. We then generate an automatic text describing what the current setting "means", so they don't set it up incorrectly. I your case it could be:

BOX; 1; 1; <base unit>
    CAN; 0,03333; 30; 1 BOX = 30 CAN
    PALLET: 108; 0,00925; 1 PALLET = 108 BOX

Then you just need to handle rounding where the table is used, which is the fun part :?
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    pdj wrote:
    Base unit of measure of an item should be in the "natural" unit for the company

I think should be the smallest possible measure - hense "Base"

Now base doesn't need to be used in the system - you can create other units of measure and set Purchase & sales units of measure.
    Those sale & puchase units of measure is what i would consider the "natural" unit for the company.
    It's easier to round up
    1- can
    24 - case
    1200 - skid

It's still works the same on an order when you order 1 case.
    but makes it a ton easier if you buy a partial case - you have the easy option to buy 7 cans.
    instead of .29 of a case.
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Savatage wrote:
    I think should be the smallest possible measure - hense "Base"

Now base doesn't need to be used in the system - you can create other units of measure and set Purchase & sales units of measure.
    Those sale & puchase units of measure is what i would consider the "natural" unit for the company.
    It's easier to round up
    1- can
    24 - case
    1200 - skid

I always though this was the best way too. You can buy and sell in whatever UOM you want to, it doesn't have to be the base UOM.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    As a WHM rule, we also recommend our clients to set base unit of measure as the lowest common denominator that can be tracked by the warehouse.

However, sometimes that may be hard because of sheets of metel or rolls of paper where it's manufacturered by Sq. Ft.
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    It is fine with Sales and Purchase Unit of Measure. But the inventory is always reported in base unit of measure, and that is often a problem...
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Understood - our warehouse people can physically see 25 cases of something in a location but the inventory in the computer it says 300. Our base UOM =1 but our sales UOM =12.

We've added a field for warehouse use called "Sales UOM QOH" which simply divides the QOH by Sales UOM Qty so the warehouse can quickly see what the qty we "normally" have.

Our item card can show the qty on hand two ways. Base & Sales

And for reporting it's just as easy to convert. But it's much easy to convert and integer 1,2,3,4,5 than a decimal .333, .324, .725

At the end of the day each company has to decide on what works best for them, it's my opinion due to it's flexability to use the lowest denominator.
  • Options
    SINOEUNSTEVENNEANGSINOEUNSTEVENNEANG Member Posts: 202
    Savatage wrote:
    Understood - our warehouse people can physically see 25 cases of something in a location but the inventory in the computer it says 300. Our base UOM =1 but our sales UOM =12.

We've added a field for warehouse use called "Sales UOM QOH" which simply divides the QOH by Sales UOM Qty so the warehouse can quickly see what the qty we "normally" have.

Our item card can show the qty on hand two ways. Base & Sales

And for reporting it's just as easy to convert. But it's much easy to convert and integer 1,2,3,4,5 than a decimal .333, .324, .725

At the end of the day each company has to decide on what works best for them, it's my opinion due to it's flexability to use the lowest denominator.

Thanks . for your solution. it is very useful.