Upgrading Navision

WashoutWashout Member Posts: 24
Ive been given the task to investogate our company upgrading navision from Version 4.00 Sp2 to the very latest edition.
The problem I have is that so many mods have been implemented over the course of the 4 1/2 years of this version, the major question I have is how difficult is it to port mods across?

The main question management has is do all the mods have to be rewritten in the new version?

Comments

• SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    No, the mods do not have to be rewritten.
    One of the processes of a functional upgrade is object comparison.
    This compares the objects and code of the version the company is on, with the default version and the new version.
    That way developers easily see modifications and have know where manual interaction is needed.
    This is a step for every upgrade and is timewise heavily influenced by the modifications.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Of course, it is good time to re-think the solution, not transfer mods you do not need anymore, change the mods, which are moded by other mods ;-) replace mods which could be done by new functionality in the new version etc. Do not blindly transfer all ...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I agree with Sog's post, except he missed out the first sentance which goes something like:

"Assuming your partner developed all the mods according to the Navision style guide and followed the Navision way of developing customizations then ..."

[-o<
    David Singleton
  • couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
    I agree with Sog's post, except he missed out the first sentance which goes something like:

"Assuming your partner developed all the mods according to the Navision style guide and followed the Navision way of developing customizations then ..."

[-o<

Having the same issue here.
    Like to read more options.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    An upgrade is an opportunity to take modifications out. Don't just upgrade and merge the code, then you've really missed an opportunity to make your company more efficient and allow for an easier upgrade down the road.

I wrote an article about this a while back:
    http://www.dynamicsnavconsultant.com/20 ... -navision/
  • gkauppgkaupp Member Posts: 1
    I think the message that your management team will want to hear is that bringing forward customizations is a fairly straight forward process using something like the MergeTool. http://www.mergetool.com

I also agree with the other posts that just because something is straight forward doesn't necessarily mean that you want to do it. Any upgrade that jumps several releases as you will need to do is always a great opportunity to evaluate the business and prior customizations to determine what you want to bring forward. Also it's important to communicate to management that 4 1/2 years of customizations is pretty much the norm in the NAV community and isn't something to be afraid of. It's not uncommon for companies to jump 3 or 4 major releases in an upgrade cycle and you are only considering jumping 2 if you upgrade before NAV 7 comes out. Also it's not uncommon for companies to have switched parters since their original implementation which isn't ideal but also not something to be overly concerned about.

Hopefully this helps as you go back to your management team and talk to them about the choices and options they have as they approach their upgrade.