Options

Editable RTC Page of type List

PloegPloeg Member Posts: 70
edited 2011-10-21 in NAV Three Tier
Hello all,

I´m trying to make a page of type List editable, for example the page Item List. When I call this page from the Role Center I´m unable to edit fields, even when the I set Editable=Yes.

Does anybody know if it is possible to make such pages editable? [-o<

Regars,
Martijn

Answers

• Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    No, pages of type list are not editable.
    The only listlike types of pages that are editable are the journals.
    This is not bound to change.

why would you (or your customer) need editable lists anyway?
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    Is the list directly attached to menu or opening from some other page?
  • Options
    Mohana -> The list is directley attached to the Role Center menu.

SOG -> We want to use it to make some shortcuts in functionality. So instead of opening each record and editing one field, we would like to skip that step and edit it in the list instead. Of course we don't want all fields to be editable, but only one or two (for example Quantity or Description).

The current standard flow of Nav requires a lot of clicking... =;

Thanks for your replies!
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    Ploeg wrote:
    The current standard flow of Nav requires a lot of clicking... =;

Why yes, yes it does envolve a lot of clicking, but rather one or 2 clicks more then a clutter of data which when editable is very error prone.

The fact is, items, customers, vendors, ... are actually "setup" values. They should be inserted once and modified very few times. That's why NAV RTC is by design so strict in editable/not editable. They made it a bit harder to modify those entities so that people would care about what they insert. If they can change anything at a whim, they are less carefull and errors are more common. NAV still is an ERP, which has loads of data and some of it should not be easy to modify.

The fields you take for example (quantity and description) are rather unrelated fields. Quantity is more of a field which is for documents like orders, invoices, ... Those fields are easily modified, because they bound to change multiple times during one day. Description on the other hand, while also available on lines (then the previous statement applies) should not change often (best not at all).

If the change you'd like to make has to do with making it easier to insert the intial data entries, stop and use imports instead.

Don't go changing the system on whims, first make sure the things that you want are really the things that you need.
    If it's not, find alternatives.
    And that's why I said "why would you (or your customer) need editable lists anyway?"
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    The change I´m trying to make is indeed on a list of orders.

I´m aware of the risks of making it too easy for users to change data. But when I (or my client) want to change the quantity of 10 different orders I don´t want to open each order one by one, I just want to edit the orders in the list.

So instead of [open order] -> [select field] -> [change quanity] -> [exit screen] we just want: [click order] -> [change value]

This sounds a bit spoiled, but when modifying lots of orders multiple times a day this will spare a lot of clicks.
  • Options
    jvakjvak Member Posts: 6
    All lists opened out of the role center are not editable by default. If you want a list on the role center to be editable when you open it, you have to open it out of the role center by right clicking the list and choose <Open in new window>.