Windows Authentication logs in as a different user

afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
We have a user ABC who logs in to a Terminal Server using Remote Desktop, opens NAV with Windows Authentication, but is getting logged in as Domain\Administrator i.e. she sees the same menus as the Administrator, and the toolbar at the bottom of NAV shows "Domain\Administrator 14/10/11".

Other users can logon to the same machine and run NAV without problem. Even ABC can work fine when she runs NAV from a different machine. It is just one specific user on one specific machine that has the problem.

When a different user checks the list of Database Sessions in NAV (File – Database – Information), they see Administrator logged in, not ABC. However, when ABC types whoami in a command prompt, it returns ABC, so it is just NAV that has the problem.

We have synced her security, removed her zup file, and had her log out of Windows and log back in, and the problem re-occurs.

I thought the problem might be from Codeunit 1, but it has not been modified since last year.

This is NAV 2009 SP1 classic on SQL, Win 2008 server, SQL 2008.

Any suggestions for resolving this are appreciated.
Alastair Farrugia

Answers

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    To me it looks like an Administrator logged into the terminal server from ABC's computer and clicked "Save Credentials".

Check which RDP client you are using, and make sure you have the latest for Windows 2008.
    David Singleton
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Another thing it could be is that the Administrator logged into a new RDP session from ABCs session, and that session is still running full screen.

I get the feeling that a reboot of the Terminal Server is also going to be necessary.
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Best is to look into "Credential manager" on the server if there is saved login for the SQL server.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I logged in as ABC, started the Credential Manager (actually Control Panel - Stored Users and Passwords), and found the Administrator there. I changed this to ABC, and the problem was resolved.

I still don't know how it was caused in the first place. I used to save my RDP credentials when connecting TO this machine, but I never used RDP FROM the machine (the icons are different, the list of possible servers is completely different).
    Alastair Farrugia
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be you connected to shared folder or admin share on the sql server and you needed to enter the logins...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
    Yes, it was actually WebServices - when I tried to connect it gave me a login dialog box. I entered the Administrator details, and clicked "Save Password".

I'll make sure not to do that in future :-).
    Alastair Farrugia