Sales Journals

FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
I need to integrate sales invoices generated by an external, stand-alone WMS into NAV so that we can process receivables there. I'm looking at creating either Sales Journal lines or Sales Invoices based on the flat file that the WMS generates during invoicing, but need some information on Sales Journals to make a good decision. Does anyone know where I can find documentation? The NAV online documentation doesn't say much - more or less just GJ docs, and I can't seem to find anything on customersource. Anyone know of a document that covers this?

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    The basic difference between sales invoice and sales journal (SJ) is that SJ cannot handle items. If only receivable information is supposed to be captured then you can opt for SJ.
    The difference between SJ and General Journal is the source code to identify transactions posted from respective journals.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
    Thanks for the input. I only need to be able to process invoiced amounts against specific g/l accounts and customers. Do you know of any examples on how to do this? I've figured out how create a journal line for a g/l or for a customer, but not both. I'm probably just missing something, but can't find any docs to help.
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,

I'd recommend talking to an accountant in your company. Which fields need to be filled depends a little on how the system is set up. They should know what they need to enter all the time.
    Usually, you should be fine entering:

- posting date
    - document date
    - external document no.
    - document type and no. (depends on the GenJnlBatch, if there are Noseries and Posting NoSeries)
    - Account Type and No.
    - Currency Code, Amount, Amount (LCY) - this can be tricky, depending on the currency setup
    - for G/L Accounts, the posting type and all posting groups to have the desired VAT calculation.
    - perhaps payment terms and discount date
    - perhaps dimensions

As I said, it's best to talk to the accountants.

HTH

Jens