Access NAV 5 SP1 from Mobile

johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
Dear all,

I am using NAV 5 SP1. Is it possible to access Navision through mobile? If yes, how to do that?
Or Should I upgrade to NAV 2009 R2? Thank you..
Best regards,

Johanna

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    There're many possibilities. It depends on your network, mobile devices, security, etc. What do you want to do exactly? What is your business need?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • shogan@mila.ieshogan@mila.ie Member Posts: 113
    I am actually interested in this too - again I am on NAV 5.0 SP1 Update 2.

We have a 5 laptops using a mobile broadband VPN each (which works very well with iNotes). The same broadband VPN will be used for iPhones and other smartphones on Android with Lotus Notes Traveler.

Biggest issue is the amount of data being pumped through, and handling connection drop-outs in the middle of transactions, as 3G in Ireland isn't great.

For now we schedule Jet Reports as emails out to our sales reps. etc. And I hope to expand on this with Lotus Notes Traveler onto mobiles.

But it would be nice to have better access to real-time information.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    As I said, it depends on your business need and some other things like your IT infrastructure. E.g. if you talk about real time, what does that mean exactly? Do you really need the information on the fly? Or is it enough when it appears within the next five minutes? Or maybe 15? Or is one hour still convenient? What and how large is your benefit if data availability is a little bit faster?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
    Well on the hour every hour would be fantastic.

As I said, I will be working on a Jet Reports solution in the meantime, but in the medium-term I'd like for Sales Reps to put orders on NAV in real-time. At the moment they just email/fax/call-in the orders.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I am actually interested in this too - again I am on NAV 5.0 SP1 Update 2.

We have a 5 laptops using a mobile broadband VPN each (which works very well with iNotes). The same broadband VPN will be used for iPhones and other smartphones on Android with Lotus Notes Traveler.

Biggest issue is the amount of data being pumped through, and handling connection drop-outs in the middle of transactions, as 3G in Ireland isn't great.

For now we schedule Jet Reports as emails out to our sales reps. etc. And I hope to expand on this with Lotus Notes Traveler onto mobiles.

But it would be nice to have better access to real-time information.

Take a look at Expand IT they have been ding mobile solutions for Navision for over 10 years now, and probably the leaders in this field.

http://www.expandit.com/611/ExpandIT+Mobile
    David Singleton
    Ah in the Navision Attain days I used ExpandIT Backup - even know a few of the guys there.

You think there would be a problem in our Partner working with products from, ExpandIT?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Ah in the Navision Attain days I used ExpandIT Backup - even know a few of the guys there.

You think there would be a problem in our Partner working with products from, ExpandIT?

Yep same guys as the backup crowd.

Your partner shouldn't have a problem. Generally when a partner doesn't want to work with an ISV (assuming the Add-On is the right fit for the customer) it is most commonly for one of two reasons

1/ They don't trust either the partner or the product. They may be concerned that the ISV has just made this one off Add-On and then may not exist next year. Since Expand IT have been here 10 years that wont be a valid point.

2/ They see a market for what you want and think that they can get you to pay for the development of and be the guinea pig for an Add-On that they can then go on and sell and make millions.

Of course your partner will know your system and know your business and help you make the right choice.
    David Singleton
    Cheers David.

May be a great option to go with something tried and tested, even if it means twisting a few arms.

I always try NOT reinventing the wheel.

I'll touch base with them then, thank you.