Offline/Online Solutions

RickrisRickris Member Posts: 21
Hi Expert,

We have a situation that the client want's to work offline in NAV(just in case there are some reason that the internet connection cut the operations will be not affected), I am aware that there are 3rd party solutions like
Data Replicator and LSRetail Replication, that will definitely has extra co$$$t and also the Terminal Services is not a client options, I just want to ask if this can be done in SQL level?

we will be using NAV 2009R2 and MSSQL2008R2

Please see situation below.

Site 1 - db1
Operation - Push data to HO

Site 2 - db2
Operation - Push data to HO

HO - db3
Reporting,Monitoring both site 1 & 2
[-o<
Regards,

Rickris
NAV Developer since 2006

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Rickris wrote:
    I just want to ask if this can be done in SQL level?

No.
    David Singleton
  • RickrisRickris Member Posts: 21
    Hi David,

Thanks for the response, now I can give the feedback to my client that the only option is either LSRetail or Data Replicator. :(
    NAV Developer since 2006
    Rickris wrote:
    ...the only option is either LSRetail or Data Replicator. :(

How did you figure that from my reply?
    David Singleton
    Last option that we looking at is using the SQL mirroring or replication, but as you said that the scenario above that these wouldn't work, the only options is LSR or Data replicator add-on. :| , or is there any other solution?
    NAV Developer since 2006
    Rickris wrote:
    Last option that we looking at is using the SQL mirroring or replication, but as you said that the scenario above that these wouldn't work, the only options is LSR or Data replicator add-on. :| , or is there any other solution?

OK so this is different. I was only telling you that mirroring and replication wont work, I didn't say that there were no other options.

You need to look at your clients requirements and see what is needed. The only way that LS Retail will be an option is if this is a retail company with POS systems. In which case the POS will be the driver of you looking at LS Retail, and the replication will be a part of that solution.

But unless you know what you mean by off line solution, its doubt full that you will ever install one succesfully.

Maybe you are confusing the underlying technology and the solution as being the same thing. Think about going to work, there are many technical solutions to get there. Car, bus, bike, walk, helicopter. But just becasue you have a car doesn't mean you can get to work, You still need to know how to drive, you need roads, you need a map to find directions, you need somewhere to park, you need fuel, it all adds up.
    David Singleton
    Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response really appreciate it, first, the company is not a retail they just want to use only the warehouse mgmt. module, I just get the idea of LSRetial by searching here in the forum that can replicate data from one database to another ofcourse need it to be setup properly. the only requirement required is that they need to replicate the data from site database to HO database.

Thanks
    NAV Developer since 2006
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    How unreliable is the WAN connection? Would they be better off to invest in reliablity and redundancy of the WAN connection? You'll notice I say WAN and not Internet.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • navinbnavinb Member Posts: 51
    hi,

if u want to keep ur sql sever online,you can setup log shipping .