Posting zero Quantity on Job Journal Line

paurolapaurola Member Posts: 43
I am considering to allow NAV 6.0 Job Journal Posting routine to post lines that have Quantity = 0 when posting lines of type Resource and "Line Type" = ''. This could be done by modifying cu 1011 so that TESTFIELD is skipped on function RunCheck when necessary. What I want are the zero Quantity entries in Job Ledger Entry.

The reason for this is complicated and has to do with employees inserting their hours through a browser based application into the Journal. I have seen this done in version 4.03, but the Job functionality has changed after that. There has not been any problems with this 4.03 database even though the functionality has been "broken".

Now I'd like to hear if you guys can think of any reason why this could be a risk... or should not be done at all.

Answers

• rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    I'm not so into v6 job functionality but there shure is a good reason why such posting is disabled.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    There was no technical reason for blocking zero data, it was more because it made no business sense to post it. Much like the code in CU80 that prevents posting jobs on Sales Orders.

The problem is that its then possible that a later developer sees this and writes code like
    Result := SomeValue / JobEntry.Quantity;

becasue they know that Quantity can never be zero. You change this and an error may occur.
    David Singleton
  • paurolapaurola Member Posts: 43
    Thanks, David.

Your answer strengthens my presumption that there should not be any known conflict on this one.