Cannot perform backup - errors out

c_sledgec_sledge Member Posts: 10
I'm trying to backup my database yet it gives me an error stating there's a problem with the G/L Account table key.

I haven't touched this table at all, so I've attached a screenshot, hopefully someone has had something similar.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    c_sledge wrote:
    I'm trying to backup my database yet it gives me an error stating there's a problem with the G/L Account table key.

I haven't touched this table at all, so I've attached a screenshot, hopefully someone has had something similar.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks

Sorry to say this, but this is probably the worst possible error message you can get in Navision. Basically one of the records in your Account Table is corrupt. The good news is that G/L Account is a pretty static table, and it will be fairly easy to recover, compared to if it was the primary key of the GL Entry table.

I assume you already called your NAV Partner, and they are on the way, but until they get there, you can do the following.

The first thing you need to do (actually I hope you already did this) is get everyone off and shut down the Navision server. The using the operating system make a copy of the database. Just use the DOS copy command to copy all the DB parts to seperate physical drives, the easiest way is probably to a USB drive.

Next connect to the copy of the database directly with fin.exe using the readonly parameter, then attempt to make a backup. Since its a primary key that probably wont work, but its worth a try.

Make sure that no one restarts the server or tries working on NAV till your partner has fixed this. I you are lucky, its just eh one error you need to fix, but if people keep working they may cause more damage. And then the recovery process will take a lot longer.

In terms of preventing this in the future, my experience with this error shows that the most common cause of the error is a bad network card somewhere on the network. So you also want to get your hardware company to start looking at that.

The second most common cause is a SCSI controller. It might be a hard disk error (unlikely but possible) but that will be pretty easy to find.

if you are running on one of the NAV versions that had the bug where the database grows, you will know this by looking at Database Information and the database will be 100% used, but in your case it looks more like a hardware issue.
    David Singleton
    BTW in the error message where it says to Check the Database with Maximum, I do not suggest doing this. A its point less, since no matter what, you already know the database is destroyed and unusable, and B I have seen cases where if you run the Test Max in Read/Write mode, it can then lock the database completely where you then can't even connect to it, the only solution then is to set the DB to read only at the OS level.
    David Singleton
    BTW depending on how long it will take your partner to fix this, you might actually be better off to just switch now to your backup server, and restore last nights backup. That way you should at least be up and running again in the morning.
    David Singleton
  • c_sledgec_sledge Member Posts: 10
    Well, the good news is this is just a personal test DB.

I suppose I could just restore my backup.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Also search the forum for '1190'

lots of posts, here's one:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21295&hilit=1190

search.php
    c_sledge wrote:
    Well, the good news is this is just a personal test DB.

I suppose I could just restore my backup.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

You might have said that in the original post. [-X

Anyway you should work out what caused it, if you have the DB on a USB drive that could be a reason, otherwise back to network issues.
    David Singleton