Options

Database and client version

alvi99alvi99 Member Posts: 71
edited 2011-10-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All,

I have a few questions I hope you can help with:

1) Besiden going to 'Help - About Microsoft Dynanics NAV', is there any other way to see what country version a database is - is this info fx. listed in a table I can access from a report or via. SQL?
2) Is there any difference on the client files/clients in the different country versions or are they exactly alike? (is it in other words only the database and language that differ)
3) When you upgrade from ex. NAV version W1 4 SP1 (4.0 SP1) to the newest NAV - is it then important that the new NAV also is a W1 version?

Answers

• Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    1. GLOBALLANGUAGE instruction returns the country code (1033 for ENU, 1040 for ITA...just decode it)
    2. I think they are the same, and all you need (etx and stx files included) is in the localization folder (ITA for me who i am italian). But you've posted In the three tier forum, so you'll need also the files for the RoleTailored Client folder and Service Folder (IT-it subfolders for me)
    3. If you have to compare the code in the 2 versions, yes; otherwise you'll get a ton of differences in every text comparer tool, because of language differences!
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    Reg. 1: What I mean is the database version - not just the language of the current company, fx. Version DE 4.0 SP1
    Reg. 2: Ok thanks
    Reg. 3: Ok but will the upgrading tools run if the database version is on the old and new database is diffenrent?
  • Options
    1. Ok, you can use codeunit 1, function ApplicationVersion(), the first 2 characters of its return value...but why do you need it?
    2. you're welcome
    3. technically usable, but pratically not. TRUST ME, or try to compare journal line table between W1 and [whatever localization] with winmerge. There will be differences in the application logic, in the caption of the fields, and in text constants etc etc...all things that you don't want to arise during an upgrade, isn't it?

PS: what do you mean with upgrading tools?the tool for the data upgrade (upgrade toolkit) or one of those for the code merge (mergetool/devtoolkit/winmerge/objmanager....)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Ok thanks for info. I need it for some userinfo. I just checked the function ApplicationVersion() and the value is hardcoded??

ApplicationVersion() : Text[80]
    EXIT('W1 4.0 SP1');

Ok I will stay with the same version. I was talking about the standard upgrading tools on the CD for data upgrade :-)
  • Options
    I just made a little experiment. I created a new SQL db from NAV 2009 R2. After that no database version was listed under help - about MS DYN NAV. Then I imported all objects from a NAV 4 SP1 database and after that version DK 4 SP1 was listed under Help. Changing the info in CU1 + reopen the database changed the info under help proving it is taken from CU1 :-)
  • Options
    alvi99 wrote:
    I was talking about the standard upgrading tools on the CD for data upgrade :-)
    ok, and be careful because there are modified upgrade objects for the localized versions, usually.

and yes, it's hardcoded, so you can put 'I am cool' in that message, and the nav help will pop up 'I am cool'! :mrgreen:
    -Mirko-
    My Blog