Solution upgrade from NAV 4 SP2 to NAV 2009 R2 Classic

stevdebstevdeb Member Posts: 13
Hi,

Anyone experience with a solution upgrade from NAV 4 SP2 (or any version older than 5) to NAV 2009 R2 Classic? It seems to work fine in a test environment, but any successful similar cases would make me more confident;-).

Thanks,
Steven

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    i think a ton of members of mibuso already done it, and our company, too have done a pair...
    what do you mean for "solution upgrade"? both application obj and executables or only executables?
    anyway, in both cases it will work. Just remember some things:
    -SIFTs are replaced by VSIFTs (if you have done some optimization, maybe you want to check it)
    -Depending on the build no., check what cursor types have been used (they can cause performance issues)
    -As always, Test,test,test...especially the performance of lists and of processes that works on big tables.
    -I'm pretty sure SQL server 2000 is no more supported from 5.1 onwards - check it out
    -...maybe someone has some more to add.
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • stevdebstevdeb Member Posts: 13
    Thanks Belias. We are only going to upgrade the executables (for now). I've done it several times with earlier versions of NAV, but not with 2009. That's why I am a bit "careful"..
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    If this is SQL then be aware that 4.00 and 2009 act very differently in how they retrieve data from SQL. 80% of the time the 4.00 objects will run fine on 2009, the other 20% the performance can degrade to a crawl. This can even happen on very small databases.

You must run a full performance test on the converted database in the EXACT same environment with all users simultaneously active, and all the cache populated.During testing keep a close eye on cache and tempdb to make sure they are not doing something they shouldn't.
    David Singleton
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    You will need to replace the matrix style forms - I think there are only a few.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    davmac1 wrote:
    You will need to replace the matrix style forms ...
    Why?
    David Singleton
    I believe that is a reported issue and yes - I had to replace a matrix form because the 4/03 version would not work
  • iqbalmadiqbalmad Member Posts: 179
    There has been major changes in the Job module.

Suppose there are several jobs that are still open in NAV 4. When migrating to NAV 2009 R2, what should i do??

thanks
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Use the upgrade toolkit you find in the product dvd, under the folder (guess what? :mrgreen: ) ...\UpgradeToolKit\Data Conversion Tools\400
    there are manuals for the use of the upgrade toolkit, as well
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
    You also need to prepare your users for the changes in functionality in jobs. Figure out waht you can take advantage of in the new design.
    Plus see if there any features they will not like and how to overcome them.